Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pasalubong From Quezon Province, p1

It's been two weeks since we last went to Quezon, but it's just now that I am able to share some of the food products sister and I took home. For this trip, my sister and I only had p2000 budget (each), so we decided to split the foods to buy. She chose the ones she liked, then I will choose mine, just so we won't be buying the same things. We ended up buying quite a lot, so I will divide the pictures, and for this week, I will share foods of the bread / cookie / biscuit kind.

Pinagong

Pinagong. I don't know why it was called pinagong, but on our way to Quezon, a vendor entered the bus and I liked its smell. It smelled like it was grilled, but Ria said it wasn't. Anyway, this I bought on the bus on our way back to Manila, so I was able to buy very fresh ones. Quite pricey at p5 each (it's sold in packs for p20 each, and it has 4 pieces per pack). Taste wise, it's like monay, but what made this one much better than monay is that it seemed to not have any yeast... it was so firm and yes... perfect to dip on hot coffee! :)

Shing-a-Ling

Shing-a-Ling. The buco pie might be the most popular pasalubong from South Luzon, but one food I always crave whenever I travel south is this. At first I thought this one's made from flour, but I later found out that it was actually made from dried then deep fried pancit miki. Before, I can just eat it as is... but through my sister, I found out this taste better when dipped in spiced vinegar. Why is it called Shing-a-Ling? I don't know, really.

Camachile

Camachile. Crunchy cookies shaped like camachile fruit, but I think it shaped more like human fingers. :) Since it looked a bit toasted, it has its nutty flavor, almost kinda like ginger snaps minus the ginger flavor.

Turones (Cookies and Cream)

Torones (Cookies and Cream). Torones is basically like that of barquiron. At the store, there were different flavors, and sister chose the cookies and cream. It was good, though I was a bit disappointed that the barquillos didn't have any filling in the middle part.

Uraro Cookies

Uraro Cookies. The uraro cookies I have grown to love looked like polvoron. At first I was a bit hesitant in getting this, but since it's the only kind of uraro in the store, I decided to get it. Well, tasting it, it still taste the same, but I guess some manufacturers decided to change its look. Each pack has about 6 florets and 2 leaves, and is p10 per pack.

144. Apas

Apas. Very thin oblong-shaped cookies with sugar... this one is my brother's favorite food from Quezon, so when sister got to see a store selling one big pack for only p35, she decided to get two packs. This one tasted like camachile with added sugar. :)

There are actually so many bread products from Quezon, but aside from the fact that we are on a tight budget, we also took into consideration how we are going to consume the products, so we didn't buy that much.

Next week, will share the rest of the goodies in our pasalubong bayong. :)

*** Jenn ***



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}