Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mixed Seafood Curry

For Christmas Day lunch, I was hoping to served Mixed Seafood Curry, but since mom took the kids (Aunt Bing's daughters) for a movie that day plus other things coming up, I wasn't able to cook this dish until dinner of 28 December.

I first planned to cook Thai Fish Curry (inspired by a recipe published in Yummy Magazine website), but while I was shopping with brother, I got to see a pack of frozen scallops, which prompted me to go for mixed seafood.

Mixed Seafood Curry


Mixed Seafood Curry
{serves 5-6}

Ingredients:
  • 1 pack 250 grams frozen scallops
  • 250 grams squid, cleaned and cut into rings
  • 250 grams shrimps (or prawns), shelled and deveined
  • 250 grams cream dory fish fillet, cut into squares
  • 2 - 3 medium sized potatos, cut into cubes
  • 1 big carrot, cut into cubes
  • 1 pack Thai yellow curry paste
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 - 5 big cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup water or stock
  • vegetable oil (for frying fish and for sauteeing)

Directions for cooking:
  • Heat pan and put enough oil. Fry the cream dory fillets until golden brown. Drain in paper towels and set aside.
  • In a new pan, put a little oil and saute onion and garlic until onions caramelize a bit. Add the curry paste and stir fry for a minute then add water or stock. When the broth starts to boil, add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and the rest of the seafood excluding the fish. Season the dish.
  • Seafoods cook easily, so when the coconut milk starts to thicken, add the fish fillets and simmer until the rest of the seafoods cook. Serve hot.

Points to Consider:
  • To make this a little "authentic" Thai curry, add some torn kaffir lime leaves.
  • You can also add some spices like cayenne pepper or chili powder for an added kick, but be careful with the amount especially if there are kids eating the dish.

I know the dish didn't look good. What happened was, I only had a pack of the yellow curry paste and only about 400 ml. of coconut milk, and considering there were a lot of seafoods, it wasn't really enough. I actually added quite a lot of stock into the dish, just so there will be some sauce.

Even if the dish didn't look good, my family loved the dish. My mom actually said she was touched seeing that much seafood in the dish - that I really took an effort in serving a "special" dish. I still am hoping to find a store selling kaffir lime leaves just to know how it would add a different twist to the dish.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}