Wednesday, February 16, 2011

E - Escargot

Escargot (Kuhol)

ABC_Wed_8

"Escargot" is French for "snail." This maybe one of France's exotic foods - I even saw a tv show where they served this at a high end restaurant, but here in the Philippines it is not really classified as a lavish food, maybe because these snails can be found in lakes or ponds (man made or not).

My sister loves to eat this, and whenever she and her significant other would dine out, they often times eat at Gerry's Grill so they have a serving of escargot (or "kuhol" as we call it here) cooked in coconut milk and shrimp paste. This plate of escargot was our appetizer while waiting for the other foods when we celebrated sister's birthday last December. It was the first time the whole family ate escargot at a restaurant, and we really enjoyed picking the meat in the shell using the provided toothpicks.

Since that day we already told ourselves if we see some snails in the nearby market we would try to re-create this dish, but until now we still haven't seen this particular snail, we would only see other kinds. Oh well... maybe when the rainy day comes. :)

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}