Sunday, February 6, 2011

Grilled Chicken Quesadilla

It's already February, but it was just now that I can share the dishes we served for Noche Buena last year. We prepared two main dishes, the first one being this one, which was inspired by a recipe posted in Certified Foodies website.

Grilled Chicken Quesadilla


Grilled Chicken Quesadilla
{serves 5 - 6}

Ingredients (Grilled Chicken):
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons Olive oil
  • pinch of dried rosemary
  • Salt and Pepper

Ingredients (Quesadilla):
  • Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • Flour Tortillas
  • Olive Oil

Ingredients (Salsa):
  • 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
  • 2 - 3 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • a pinch of cumin
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper

How to Cook:
  • For the grilled chicken - marinade chicken in salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with olive oil mixed with rosemary, then grill. After it has cooled down, slice into thin strips, then set aside.
  • For the salsa - Using a food processor, process onion, garlic, bell pepper, and tomatoes. Add the cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and mix well.
  • For the quesadilla - Pour 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place a tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with some cheese, then lay the chicken pieces, and sprinkle more cheese. Top with another tortilla and flip. Cook until the tortilla toast a bit. Cut into little triangles, then serve with the salsa.

Before Noche Buena, we bought the frozen tortilla and I tried cooking this dish just to know if I have to adjust anything. Turned out, the frozen tortilla was difficult to work it, so we made another trip to the supermarket on 23 December and we got the regular tortilla. We weren't able to see big ones, so we just bought the small ones.

Cooking this, I just put the cheese and chicken in the half part of the tortilla and just fold the tortilla to cover it. The most important thing about this dish is to make sure the fillings stay intact, so using a wooden spoon, I pressed the tortilla to flatten it.

Aside from the salsa, I also served this with sour cream dip. I wasn't able to buy the ready made sour cream, so I just made my own by combining regular all purpose cream with some lemon juice, garlic powder and salt.

Quesadilla is a very flexible dish, you are certainly free to experiment by putting different vegetables and meat fillings (you can also put ham if you wish). Just a thing to remember is to keep it really flat, or else the filling will fall off the tortilla.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}