Saturday, January 22, 2011

Foodie 365 - Week 3

Joining food memes and visiting other bloggers' blogs made me see this food meme, which is really interesting enough that I just wanted to join it, too. As much as possible, I want to post just one article here in the blog per day, and since I already have a regular post during Fridays, I decided to join EKat's Friday Potluck meme using my Foodie 365 pictures. My entry will always be a day behind, but I think her food party will always appreciate foods. Here are the foods I fed myself from 15 - 21 January:

Foodie 365 (2011) - 15/365

Foodie 365 > 15/365 - Mixed Veggies with Beef
15 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

The day before, I cooked Beef with Pea Pods, and since I bought a cauliflower, I decided to cook the dish again, this time using the cauliflower and the remaining carrots and green beans in our fridge. I didn't have a hard time cooking this because the beef cousin Mhai gave us was so tender, I cooked this dish in about 10 minutes.

Foodie 365 (2011) - 16/365

Foodie 365 > 16/365 - Pinatisang Pata ng Baboy
16 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

For foreign readers, pata ng baboy means "leg of pork." My sister requested we add this in our market list, and I cooked it in a very simple way. Recipe will be shared in the days to come.

Foodie 365 (2011) - 17/365

Foodie 365 > 17/365 - Gising Gising
17 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

I was being thrifty on this day, so I only bought a bunch of string beans in the market, which was only ten pesos. Our pantry never runs out of instant coconut milk mix (in powder form), so I thought of cooking Gising Gising, a dish that I hoped to cook since late last year. People use different kinds of vegetables for this dish - others use green beans, while some use winged beans, but the very first recipe I saw used string beans, so it was the one I used. I am glad my sister liked it. Like the previous picture, the recipe for this will be shared in the future.

Foodie 365 (2011) - 18/365

Foodie 365 > 18/365 - Grilled Tilapia
18 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

Brother was in charge of the kitchen for this day's dinner, and he decided to grill some tilapia and milk fish. Paired with soup, I just ate a lot that dinner - the tomato salsa brother prepared went really well with the fish.

Foodie 365 (2011) - 19/365

Foodie 365 > 19/365 - Menudo
19 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

For lunch, sister asked me to cook menudo. We actually went in the market late already (around 11:45am), so when we got home I asked her to help me cut up the ingredients. She volunteered to do the carrots and potatoes, and instead of dicing the carrots, she just cut it in thin slices.

Very easy dish to cook - just saute roughly chopped onions, garlic, and tomatoes, and once wilted, add the pork and the seasonings. Put a little water and cover the pot, and when it boils, add the potatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked halfway, then add the green peas, carrots, and green bell pepper (you can use the red ones, too). Simmer a few more minutes then serve.

There are different ways of cooking this dish - others put liver spread or real liver, others add in some raisins, too, but I think the very basic way of cooking menudo is to use pork, potatoes, carrots, and tomato sauce. FYI, too, when you say menudo it means the ingredients were cut in small slices, so if you want to cook this, just cut your ingredients small. Let the "dice" guide you. :)

Foodie 365 (2011) - 20/365

Foodie 365 > 20/365 - Buttered Shrimps
20 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

Mom bought some shrimps, so I decided to cook this dish. I rarely cook this, so I really appreciated the taste of it. A little accident happened - I bought Sprite at a neighborhood store, and since I can't take home the bottle and they don't have the canned ones, I just asked them to place it in small plastic. While cutting the tip of the plastic, it just burst! Good thing the bowl of shrimps was just in front of me and that it caught enough Sprite so I could carry on with the cooking. Well, I had to change my clothes ASAP as I literally took a Sprite splash, but all things ended well - I was able to cook the dish and the family loved it.

If you want to cook this dish, please click HERE.

Foodie 365 (2011) - 21/365

Foodie 365 > 21/365 - Pancit Palabok
Little Quiapo - Quezon City
21 January 2011
{Canon Powershot SX130is}

It was my parents' 33rd wedding anniversary. Even if it was sad that dad is no longer with us, we still celebrated the day - mom even filed a leave of absence from work so we could eat at Little Quiapo, the restaurant where they had their wedding reception. It wasn't the exact same building as the restaurant relocated some 13 years ago, but the one who took our order and served our foods was one of the restaurant staffs who helped during my parents' wedding reception.

Anyway, people from a forum I belong to mentioned this restaurant serves great pancit palabok and halo halo, so we had it as well. True to what they say, it was really good.


Here's my share for the potluck... dig in!

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}