Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cashew - Crusted Cream Dory

The family already celebrated sister's birthday a day before, but I wanted her to feel special on her exact birthday, so I woke up early to prepare this dish for her, which I took from the Yummy Magazine website.

Cashew Crusted Fish


Cashew - Crusted Cream Dory
{serves 4}

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams cream dory fillets, cut into 2 equal portions
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced onions
  • 2 tablespoons rum
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose cream

Ingredients (Crust):

  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped cashew nuts
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients (Tomato Confit):

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced onions
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
  • 3 tablespoons water

How to Cook:
  • Make the crust: In a mixing bowl, combine cashew nuts, Parmesan cheese, and butter; blend well. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  • Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Season fish with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Top one side of fish with the cashew crust and place in the oven until crust melts or turns golden.
  • In the same pan used to cook the fish, sauté onions and deglaze with rum. Reduce until 1/4 in volume. Pour in cream and season with salt and pepper.
  • Make the tomato confit: In a sauté pan, heat olive oil and cook onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with Italian seasoning and chicken bouillon. Cook for 3 minutes. Add water and cook for 5 minutes more.
  • Plate the cream dory and drizzle with rum sauce and tomato confit. Serve with white rice or pasta.

Note to Consider:
  • You can also use lapu - lapu or salmon for this recipe.

The recipe looked complicated, but it was actually very easy and quick to prepare. The only main problem I had was that we don't own an oven, so to brown the crust, I used our oven toaster. I just placed the fish in aluminum foil, covered the top with the cashew mixture and popped it in the pre-heated oven toaster for about 7 minutes.

My sister didn't have that much time as she had to leave right away, but she did eat half of the fish for breakfast and thanked me for taking the effort to prepare it for her. My mom ate the other half, and she, too, liked it.

I still had one small cut uncooked fish, so when they left, I cooked it again so I could have a taste as well. It was really, really, good - the cashew provide great texture to the fish, and the tomato confit added a different taste. Mom actually wanted me to cook this again, but we already ate all the cashew nuts, so we have to wait 'til we visit the weekend market again for us to buy some cashew nuts.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}