Friday, July 8, 2011

Spicy Prawns in Hoisin Sauce

One confession to make: I haven't continued my recipe testing because I couldn't find all the ingredients I needed. One blessing happened to me this week was receiving an invitation to watch the Cooking Marathon, a program by SM Master Chefs at the SM Hypermarket in SM City Fairview.

Chef Deejay Santos III prepared three dishes, and today, I'd share one of those dishes, which I consider my favorite among the three.

Spicy Prawns in Hoisin Sauce

Spicy Prawns in Hoisin Sauce
{Recipe by: Lee Kum Kee}

Ingredients:
  • 350g prawns, deveined
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Lee Kum Kee Chili Bean Sauce
  • oil
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon cooking wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • leeks and sesame seeds (for garnish)
How to Cook:
  • Pan-fry meat in hot oil until slightly cooked. Drain in paper towels.
  • Saute hoisin sauce and chili bean sauce in 2 tablespoons oil. Add the rest of the ingredients (except leeks and sesame seeds), including the prawns. Stir well until sauce thickens.
  • Garnish with leeks and sesame seeds and serve.
Notes to Consider:
  • If prawns are expensive, you can also use shrimps.
  • If you or someone in the family are allergic to prawns/shrimps, you can also use other seafood like mussels and/or fish fillet (cut into bite size pieces).

I may only able to eat a teeny piece of prawn meat, but it was enough to say that it tasted good. It was a bit sweet for my taste, though, but nonetheless this is a dish that I would cook in the future. It was good as is, but I think I'd prefer eating it with rice with a little drops of hot sauce to give it a kick.

The recipes of the two other dishes, as well as the details about the SM Master Chefs and about Chef Deejay Santos will be shared in the days to come. Big thanks to SM Hypermarket for allowing us to photograph the plated dish before it was served to the guests.

*** Jenn ***



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}