Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend Eating - Reception at Kowloon House

Happy new week, foodies! I felt really bad that I wasn't able to attend this year's iBlog and I also missed a bloggers' event by Magnolia Ice Cream because of something that happened Friday morning. I feel much better now, thank heavens. :)

Welcome to another round of Weekend Eating. Thank you so much to everyone who joined last week, and as always, I am thankful that you're here once again. If you're new to the meme, here are the obvious rules:
  • Post images of a food you ate during the past weekend (Friday included). Please use only images that are your own, or you have permission to use.
  • Do include the code of the badge (check the right side panel of this blog to get the code).
  • Leave your link below once you're done making the post.
  • Visit other participants' blogs and leave a comment love, too.

My share this week:

Cake

My sister was invited to attend the Christening of baby Yves, the son of her former high school friend Erika. She was one of the godparents, but since only two friends from high school were chosen to be the child's godparents, sister feared she might be an "odd-man-out" should Kristine not attend, so she asked Erika if she could tag me to the event. We were both glad that they happily accepted sister's request. I didn't ask permission to post any of the family's pictures, so I will just focus on the reception.

Reception was held at Kowloon House, the newest food place along Don Mariano Marcos Avenue (near Regalado Avenue) in Quezon City. One time I wished the family could eat there (because I only was able to taste their siopao), so I was happy to learn that the reception would be there. They reserved four tables (each table can accomodate 10 people), and my sister and I sat together with the rest of the godparents, and at first I feared taking food pictures might be difficult because some of them might get foods even before we can get to photograph it, and because they were people we don't really know (except for Kristine), we were a bit hesitant. For the first time I was happy about the lazy susan table, so while most of them were slurping their soup, sister and I took pictures of the foods being served and we took the other pictures while they were getting their share of the foods we already photographed. The foods served were:

Fried Rice

Yang Chow Fried Rice. I always consider this as a one-dish meal, and even if it has eggs, ham, and green peas, I am glad that it went well with the other dishes served that day.

Pancit Canton

Pancit Canton. It was saucy, but the veggies weren't that crunchy anymore, and I wasn't really pleased it that they used mainly innards (intestines and liver) as their meat. Well, I do eat innards, but I don't eat liver, so I was a bit sad. :) Flavor-wise, it tasted good.

Chopseuy

Chopseuy. Veggies were crunchy, but again, they used liver and intestines. Overall, it was a very tasty dish, but still, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have any meat other than the intestines and liver slices. I wish they also included a few slices of pork or chicken for diners who don't eat innards.

Chicken with Cashew

Chicken with Cashews. Something my sister liked a lot. It was a good dish, though the sauce I thought needed a little more seasoning. I did love the combination of cashews and chicken; the cashews provided good texture to the dish, and it was a good partner to the Yang Chow fried rice.

Pata Tim

Pata Tim. The sauce was a bit bland for my liking, though I loved that the meat was fork tender. No need to ask for a knife for this one; all of us appreciated how tender the pata was.

Fried Chicken

Fried Chicken. Even just by looking at it, one could already say it was dry, and it was.

Buchi

Buchi. It was chewy soft and still hot when served, so I really loved it.

I checked the menu of the restaurant available online, but I wasn't able to see the exact name of the "Chicken with Cashews." Just correct me if you know the exact name of the dish. :) Anyway, from the words I heard from the exchanges of conversation, they opted to get the set meals for parties, but the fried chicken was something they just added because according to them, fried chicken was a staple every celebration. If I could just make a quick comment about the whole situation... when Erika's mom asked for the soft drinks and the fried chicken, the staff was quick to say something like, "The package doesn't include soft drinks and chicken..." to which the family answered back that they specifically asked it to be added when they made the reservation because they knew it wasn't part of it. I know the restaurant is still new, but I so wish the staffs didn't overlook additional orders. Good thing the family was very sweet and kind.

To Erika (and the rest of the family), thank you for inviting us. Looking forward to Yves' birthday. :)

So... what did you have last weekend?



*** Jenn ***

ps - Even with the negative tones of this post, in general, it was a good party and I appreciated the family's generosity. Although some of the food didn't satisfy me (for reasons I indicated), it doesn't mean that the restaurant's food weren't good enough. Come to think of it, I did provide positive points, as well, right? I sure will dine here again, given the chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yang supervisor nyo na ryan cunanan,nag cocomplain kame arogante pa,kmi na ang nakikipag ayos sa sinerve nilang beer na lasang gaas,amoy gaas,sya pa ang matapang na magreklamo nlng daw kami.sa halip na maging diplomatic,gusto pa mag mag mataas at matapang makipagtalo. hndi daw nila problema un,sa san miguel daw kame magreklamo. nakakapikon lang,na kme pa ang nakikiusap kame pa ang hinahamon.dapat cguro turuan nyo yang tao na yan ng tamang customer service handling.may kayabangan eh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}