Saturday, October 19, 2013

Baking My Very First Rocky Road Brownies

Baking is something we truly want to learn and enjoy. My sister and I have been eyeing this oven for so long now, but we still can't decide whether we'll buy it or not, because #1 we don't want to blow up our electric bill and #2 we are not sure if it is something we really want.

We have used quite a number of Maya baking mixes, but whenever we use it, we usually opt to steam the batter and even if it gives us a good way to enjoy good tasting food, we still want to try baking it. Some Maya cake mixes are made for oven toaster, so we wanted to try that route first.

Baking My First Brownies

One of the Maya baking mixes we had was the Celebrations by Sharon Fudge Brownie Mix. It was near its expiration date, so sister and I decided to bake it using the oven toaster last weekend.

Batter

What was needed to make the basic brownies were - 1 box of Maya Celebrations by Sharon Fudge Brownie Mix, 1 medium egg, 1/4 cup oil (we used corn oil), 1 tablespoon water, and chopped nuts. But then, we still have marshmallows and chocolate chips from previous "Kitchen Lab sessions" so I also added them in the recipe.

Mixing the brownie mix, egg, oil, and water resulted in a very heavy and thick batter and at first my sister was questioning if I read it right that it only needed 1 tablespoon water. Let me tell you that you just have to keep mixing it and soon it will all come together.

Rocky Road

To make the brownies, we could use the oven toaster tray, but because we wanted to make Rocky Road Brownies, we used one of our loaf pans. Before popping it in the oven toaster, we wrapped it with aluminum foil first so that the heat from the oven toaster would not shock the surface of the brownies. We baked it for 15 minutes at 5 minute intervals, allowing it to rest for a few minutes before baking it more so that the residual heat would cook the inner part of the brownies. Last one minute of baking I tore off the aluminum foil.

Slightly Failed Brownies

One boo-boo about leaving it open for 1 minute was that the marshmallows got toasted... really toasted. I realized, using itty bitty marshmallows would burn toast very fast. It resulted in a slightly failed Rocky Road Brownies, but not totally wasted because even if the top was okay... burned, the brownies were chewy and very delish!

Rocky Road Cups

I didn't put all the batter in the pan, I also tried making some Rocky Road Brownie Cups, and it was much better because I didn't take off the aluminum foil cover, but it still toasted the marshmallows because they were much smaller.

I totally love the Maya Celebrations by Sharon Fudge Brownie Mix! It made baking brownies easier, and both my mom and sister expressed that it tasted the brownies we used to buy at this bakeshop (won't tell what). Now that we knew how it tasted, we will definitely just bake our own brownies.

Lessons to consider - mix the marshmallows and chocolate chips in the batter and just top it with cashews, use unsalted cashews, and don't peel off the aluminum foil covering.

We are now really going to buy that oven soon... but before that, we would attempt to bake Carrot Cupcakes using the oven toaster first.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}