Friday, March 23, 2012

Recipe | Tocinokatsu with Cheese Scrambled Eggs

I have a lot of things going on in my head lately that I neglected my fitness routines, I am eating irregular - I'd have breakfast at 11am, lunch at 4pm, and eat dinner before I sleep at night. I feel bad at many things that I am starting to lose focus on things I need to concentrate on. With that I have a confession to make: I lost track of many things that I forgot today's Friday - a "no meat" day supposedly, but I woke up real early to prepare this breakfast for my family.

My main reason of serving this is because my sister has been waking up real early everyday to get to work on time, but because she gets home late and would like to sleep longer, she would use a little more extra time catching up on sleep rather than cook herself some breakfast. I felt a little guilty and worried about it, so I decided to wake up and cook all of us breakfast, just so sis and mom would take a break from eating cheese sandwiches.

This recipe I am about to share is taken from YUMMY Magazine March 2012 issue.

Tocinokatsu with Cheese Scrambled Eggs

Tocinokatsu with Cheese Scrambled Eggs
{Serves 4}

Ingredients - Tocinokatsu:
  • 1 (500-gram) pack ready-to-cook tocino
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 to 2 cups Japanese bread crumbs
  • oil for frying

Ingredients - Scrambled Eggs:

  • 5 eggs
  • 1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter

How to Cook:

  • Make the Tocinokatsu: Toss tocino with the beaten egg, then coat each piece with breadcrumbs. Heat oil to medium and pan fry coated tocino in batches. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
  • Cook the Cheesy Scrambled Eggs: Beat 5 eggs in a bowl then add cheese. Melt butter in a nonstick pan, add cheesy eggs. Cook to your desired doneness.
What I loved about cooking this dish is that coating the tocino with breadcrumbs actually made it easier to cook, as we know tocino can be a little messy to cook - because of its caramel. When I served this, brother exclaimed, "It did taste like katsu!" A great indication that he liked what I served.

As for the eggs, the addition of cheese was a nice change, but as we ate more and more of it we tend feel "suya." Good thing I garnished it with spring onions, it added a little bit of dimension to the taste.

According to the magazine, you can also use beef tapa to this recipe, or use a different kind of cheese for the eggs. They also recommended serving it with salted eggs and tomatoes, but I felt it was a little too much eggs for the day, but of course, it is something you can also serve - not everybody wants scrambled eggs anyway.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}