Monday, December 5, 2011

Weekend Eating | Fish Lumpia and Ginisang Kangkong

Last week wasn't a good week for me as far as dieting is concerned. I was having indigestion last Friday and Saturday, and the tummy aches (brought about by eating oatmeal) made me feel uncomfortable. Sunday, I took a day off from doing any exercises, and I gave in to the pork temptation for lunch.

Fish Lumpia and Kangkong

Late in the afternoon, sister was having another Jollibee cravings - this time she wanted to eat burger, sort of begging mom for us to have a Jollibee dinner, even if she would just eat the Regular Yum. Mom allowed her, but instead of phoning the delivery hotline, sister and I decided to go to Tungko (San Jose del Monte, Bulacan) to buy Jollibee food for dinner.

Since I already ate pork for lunch, I told myself I'd make a right choice for dinner. Going to Tungko was the better option because Jollibee is a few steps away from their market - allowing me to buy my own dinner. I had no plans in mind what to eat, but near the church, we saw the lumpia stall, and seeing that they now sell Fish Lumpia (2 pesos each), I decided to just go for it. Walking around the market, I saw some kangkong and thought it would make a great pair for the lumpia - no need to add anything; let the lumpia be my meat, and kangkong my fiber.

Sister didn't go for the Regular Yum, she went for the Champ. Brother had 2 pieces Chickenjoy, and mom had the Palabok-Chickenjoy meal. I had a different meal, but I enjoyed it, too.

By the way, the kangkong dish was an attempt to re-create Chic-Boy's "Ginisang Kangkong sa Bawang." What I did was to cook the kangkong in little water with salt, set it aside and sauteed minced garlic until it's light brown. I then put back the kangkong into the pan and sauteed it for a few minutes. Not as delish as Chic-Boy's, but it tasted close. :)

That Fish Lumpia (which tasted good, by the way) will be my last fried food for the week. Starting today 'til Saturday, I will not eat fried food (even fried rice), but since most Pinoy's dishes start with the gisa, I will allow myself to eat ginisa dishes. Also, my fitness buddy wasn't at all pleased to know I ate pork that day, so I will also not eat pork anymore. Very drastic change, but I was able to pull off a week without pork, I know I can do this.

- * - * - * -

So... what did you have last weekend? If you're new to the Weekend Eating meme, you can read the rules and get the badge codes HERE. My heartfelt thanks to everyone who joined last week.







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}