Friday, October 14, 2011

Recipe | Slow-Cooked Korean Beef

The past weeks, brother has been the main cook for the family (especially for dinner), but when we were able to find a misplaced cook book, I was able to list down recipes I hoped to try. It's actually a common practice for me, whenever I buy a new culinary magazine or cookbook... or when I get to see some magazines whenever I travel or go out, I would list down or take pictures of the recipe so I could try it at home. Every weekend, we tend to order a kilo of beef short ribs (aside from the pork belly), so when I saw my brother wanting to cook the beef for dinner, I asked for a few pieces to be set aside because there was this beef recipe I hoped to try.

This recipe I am about to share was by Monterey (Meats You Can Trust) meat shop, and was printed on the Good Housekeeping "Easy Everyday Meals" cookbook (Collector's Edition, Volume 6)

Slow-Cooked Korean Beef

Slow-Cooked Korean Beef
Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo beef short ribs
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • A pinch of ground chili pepper
  • 4 slivers of ginger
  • 3 tablespoons mirin
  • Sesame Oil
  • Sesame Seeds (for garnish)

How to Cook:
  • Place short ribs in a stockpot and cover in water. Boil until beef is tender.
  • Add soy sauce, sugar, chili pepper, and ginger. Continue to cook until the liquid is reduced in half.
  • Put in mirin in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
  • Mix in sesame oil, remove from heat, and transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving.

With only about 5 pieces of short ribs to cook, I had to adjust the seasonings. My end dish was a little sweeter, but in general it was a great dish. I cooked this with the help of the pressure cooker, which helped cutting the cooking time, but as of this writing, we have some beef short ribs in the freezer, so I will try to cook this again, but will go for the slow-cook method, using the charcoal stove (to help save LPG).

At times I am like this - whenever a recipe interests me, I'd sometimes cook a little of it just to try it. If it comes out good, I will cook it again, if not, then at least I know I didn't "waste" a lot of ingredients to try it out.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}