Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Recipe | Crispy Chicken with Hoisin Peanut Sauce

When sis and I attended the Lee Kum Kee Cook with the Masters event, we were given a booklet filled with different dishes using Lee Kum Kee products - prepared by some of the country's top celebrity chefs.

All of the recipes were so appetizing and quite easy to do, so sister and I divided the recipes we both could try cooking it. This recipe I am about to share is created by culinary icon Chef Sandy Daza. Of course, I am a bit biased there, he's my favorite local celebrity chef, so I started with one of the recipes he personally made for Lee Kum Kee.

Crispy Chicken with Hoisin Peanut Sauce

Crispy Chicken with Hoisin Peanut Sauce
{Serves 4}

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 kilo chicken, boneless and cut into strips
  • 2 teaspoons Kee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee premium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 3 cups cooking oil (for frying)
  • 1 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/4 cup spicy peanuts
  • 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped finely
  • 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped finely
  • 1/3 cup Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce

How to Cook:
  • In a bowl, mix chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, and Chinese wine. Mix well and add in chicken strips. Marinade for a few minutes.
  • Combine flour and cornstarch and coat each strip in this mixture.
  • Heat oil and deep fry chicken strips. Set aside.
  • In another pan, heat sesame oil and oil.
  • Saute peanuts and bell peppers, both red and green.
  • Add in hoisin sauce and crispy chicken and toss well. Serve hot.

For the peanuts, I used the ones you can buy at the neighborhood store (Sugo Peanuts). The dish is slightly sweet because of the hoisin sauce, but the whole dish tasted interestingly. My sister calls it "like eating in Chinese restaurants!" Anyway, when I made the sauce, the recipe called for a tablespoon each of regular cooking oil and sesame oil, but since I am trying to lose weight, I decided to go with half tablespoon of each kind of oil. It resulted in a slightly heavy sauce (in consistency), so when we cook this again, I might consider thinning the sauce with some water.

I already have my next recipe to try... hopefully I can cook it by Thursday so I can share the recipe by Friday. :)





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}