This recipe is taken from FOOD Magazine, September 2010 issue.
Pinatisang Pata ng Baboy (Pork Hock Cooked in Fish Sauce)
- 1 pork leg, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices, parboiled and cleaned well
- 1 head garlic, pounded and mashed
- 1/4 cup patis (fish sauce)
- 1 cup native vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 2 sprigs dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
How to Cook
- Combine pork leg, garlic, patis, vinegar, water, bay leaf, oregano, and black peppercorns in a pot. Boil then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Check seasoning, correct then cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat is almost falling off the bones.
Tasted a lot like Paksiw na Pata, but the oregano was a very interesting addition. Cooking this dish actually started my "love affair" with oregano - I love using it now. Of course, this dish would go well with any cuts of pork, and if you don't have the time to cook this, just use your pressure cooker. This is one easy dish to make - just dump it all in and leave cooking.. gives you more time to do other things or chores, just don't forget to check it from time to time (making sure the dish doesn't run out of juices).
For people outside the South East Asian Region who want to try this recipe, please check out any of the Asian stores near your place for the fish sauce.