Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Recipe | Pinatisang Pata ng Baboy

Sharing the recipe of this dish was long overdue; I cooked this dish sometime in January, but I misplaced the magazine where I got the recipe from, so I thought then that I would never get to share this here on my blog. Thankfully, me cleaning my bedroom two weeks ago made me find the missing magazine.

This recipe is taken from FOOD Magazine, September 2010 issue.

Pinatisang Pata ng Baboy

Pinatisang Pata ng Baboy (Pork Hock Cooked in Fish Sauce)
Serves 6


Ingredients:
  • 1 pork leg, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices, parboiled and cleaned well
  • 1 head garlic, pounded and mashed
  • 1/4 cup patis (fish sauce)
  • 1 cup native vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 pieces bay leaf
  • 2 sprigs dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns

How to Cook
  • Combine pork leg, garlic, patis, vinegar, water, bay leaf, oregano, and black peppercorns in a pot. Boil then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
  • Check seasoning, correct then cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat is almost falling off the bones.

Tasted a lot like Paksiw na Pata, but the oregano was a very interesting addition. Cooking this dish actually started my "love affair" with oregano - I love using it now. Of course, this dish would go well with any cuts of pork, and if you don't have the time to cook this, just use your pressure cooker. This is one easy dish to make - just dump it all in and leave cooking.. gives you more time to do other things or chores, just don't forget to check it from time to time (making sure the dish doesn't run out of juices).

For people outside the South East Asian Region who want to try this recipe, please check out any of the Asian stores near your place for the fish sauce.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}