- 4 pcs. chicken leg quarters
- 1/4 cup tuba vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup clear softdrinks
- juice from 5 pcs. kalamansi
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- lemon grass hearts, bruised
- small piece of ginger, pounded slightly and minced
- 1 tbsp. liquid seasoning
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- annatto oil (for basting)
- Cut each leg quarter into two - separating the drumstick and the thigh.
- Combine all rest of the ingredients, except the annatto oil and marinate the chicken into the mixture for at least 6 hours.
- Skewer the chicken pieces and roast over coal, basting from time to time until cooked.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and choice of dip / condiments.
- To make the annatto oil, heat some oil and put some annatto seeds and stir until the oil changes in color. Discard the seeds and use the oil in basting the chicken.
- Popular dip for this dish would be the soy sauce-kalamansi juice-vinegar mix, though I also add in some minced garlic in my own dip.
- Achara (pickled young papaya) is also a good side dish for this one.
- I agree that it is very difficult to grill chicken because at times the meat inside tends to be raw even if it was burning outside... for this, you can also boil your chicken pieces in its own marinade (halfway done only), before grilling it.
*** Jenn ***