Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recipe | Mung Bean Sprouts with Shrimps and Cumin

I am a frequent player of Ms. Maiylah's "Food Friday" meme, and since most of the recipes she share are very easy to do, I told myself I'd cook four recipes from her site this week. Was able to try one recipe for Sunday's lunch - Toge with Cumin.

Reading the recipe, it reminded me of Okoy, and since we still have small shrimps in the freezer, I figured I'd add shrimps to it as well.

Mung Bean Fritters with Shrimps and Cumin

Mung Bean Sprouts with Shrimps and Cumin
{Makes about 5 patties}

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups Mung Bean Sprouts
  • 3/4 cup small shrimps
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • cooking oil (for frying)

How to Cook:

  • Add milk into the bowl where you beat the egg. Then, add cumin, salt, and pepper and mix.
  • Add flour and mix - making sure the batter is not too watery nor too dense. If you're already satisfied with its consistency, you may then add the mung bean sprouts and shrimps.
  • Heat a pan with oil. Spoon out some mixture and spread it as big as a hamburger patty, and fry until golden brown. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve with your choice of dip.
Mung Bean Fritters with Shrimps and Cumin

I tried three kinds of vinegar as my dip - the Balsamic Vinegar tend to be sweet for my taste, the Pinoy Kurat was okay, but my choice for this dish would be the Sinamak vinegar as it wasn't too thick and too flavorful.

To test if your mixture had the right amount of seasoning, fry a very little mixture (I used three sprouts, one shrimp and a little batter) and taste after it was cooked. Adjust the seasoning if needed.

The typical Okoy recipe I know used water and a little rice flour. This was the first time I heard of cumin being used to this recipe and I loved how the milk and cumin added a new flavor to the dish. This is very flexible, and next time I'd add some moringa leaves, just for kicks. :)

If you want to get the exact recipe Ms. Maiylah posted, please check her blog post HERE. Thank you so much Ms. Maiylah for the inspiration.



ps - you might notice a different date stamps on the pictures; that's because we had a lot of mung bean sprouts, I decided to cook it for lunch today as well.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}