Sunday, November 14, 2010

Homemade Tofu-Mushroom Burger

It was through Ria Tirazona's blog that I first learned about the tofu burgers, something she cooked herself. I told her I will copy her recipe should I decide to cook it, and when the time came that we had some little ground beef remaining, some more tofu in the fridge and we had some oyster mushrooms that mom forgot to cook, I decided to put all together to make some burger patties.

Ria's recipe didn't have beef, but since I cannot cook the ground beef as a stand-alone dish, I might as well add it to the mix. From Ria's recipe, here is how I made it my own.

Tofu-Mushroom Burger


Homemade Tofu-Mushroom Burger
{makes 5-6 patties}

Ingredients:
  • 100 grams ground beef
  • 1/2 block firm tofu, crumbled
  • 100 grams oyster mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 medium sized onions, minced
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (add more if needed)
  • 1 egg, beaten
How to Cook:
  • Mix all ingredients well.
  • Fry a pinch of the mixture and taste if it fits your liking. Adjust accordingly.
  • Making sure the mixture is seasoned to your liking, get some of the mixture, form into a ball and flatten it using both palms.
  • Fry each until golden brown.
  • Serve with bread, tomatoes, and lettuce.
Notes to Consider:
  • Obviously, the patties can be eaten alone, if you prefer it that way.
  • You can omit the beef if you wish, and it would still taste good.
  • If you made quite a lot of patties and would just eat a few, you can separate each patties with a cling wrap and freeze it.
  • For my burger, I used the ordinary slices of loaf bread, spread each slice with mayonnaise. I didn't put any ketchup in the sandwich, but I liked to eat the just the fried patties with ketchup.

It was indeed a good snack, and tasting the tofu and the mushrooms was a good change for me. I consider this a healthier option, because it didn't use 100% pure beef... a good diet food, I must say. :)

Thanks for the recipe idea, Ria!

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}