Thursday, September 20, 2012

Celebrating Mom's 63rd Birthday

Chic-Boy (Chicken at Baboy)
Prudential Life Bldg. Arnaiz Ave. (Pasay Rd.), Makati
+63 (02)869-3412

* picture-heavy post *

We always celebrate birthdays of family members with a hearty meal. For this year, mom told us she wanted to see "the Fort." I am not sure what made her want to go there, but because it is something new for the family to share, we were all eager to travel that far. It was already noon time when we reached Makati, and because us siblings didn't get to eat breakfast, we decided to eat lunch first before we go to Bonifacio Global City. We all know dining in Makati can burn a hole in the pocket, so it was really a great blessing that there are a few establishments offering great food without spending much, one of which is Chic-Boy along Pasay Road.

Chic-Boy Pasay Road - Facade

This branch opened last February, and from a food place that serves customers from 9am-9pm, they are now open 24 hours a day, except during Sundays (until 12mn, the restaurant resumes operation 6am of Monday) and some holidays, and they are also accepting bulk orders and deliveries (phone number at the top part of this post).

Chic-Boy Pasay Road - Al Fresco Side

The al fresco side was more spacious than the actual dining area; I didn't notice any electric fans (but there might be some, I am not sure), but the overall temperature was actually okay. As soon as we arrived, staff were friendly and courteous, something we appreciated as we walked from the Ayala MRT station 'til Park 1 Square and we were hungry and a little tired.

Chic-Boy Pasay Road - Dining Area

There were available tables outside, but we decided to take a table at the main dining area so we can get some aircon juice. :) Inside, the area was a little cramped, but it didn't really look and feel that crowded.

This wasn't the first time the family dined at a Chic-Boy establishment, so we already knew what kind of dishes they serve. We decided to have our own plated meal and just add additional food we will all share. Presenting what we had for mom's birthday fiesta:

CB1 - Chicken Inasal (Paa)

CB1 - Chicken Inasal (Paa). My meal. Chicken Inasal is one of my favorite chicken dishes, and I just realized I still haven't tasted Chic-Boy's version. This one didn't fail me - it was seasoned well, and I didn't have to season the meat further in the calamansi-vinegar-soy sauce dip. The size of the chicken was big enough to satisfy my hungry tummy.

CB5 - Cebu Lechon Manok

CB5 - Cebu Lechon Manok. Kuya's meal. I personally love this better than the Chicken Inasal because it has this very distinct flavor. Diners have the choice which part they would want - the leg quarter or the breast/wing part.

CB6 - Cebu Lechon Liempo

CB6 - Cebu Lechon Liempo. Mom's meal. I only tasted two pork cubes of this, but I did love it so much! The pork skin was crunchy, the meat was tender and super flavorful!

Sizzling Bangus Belly

Sizzling Bangus Belly. Sister's meal. She opted to have the rice served at a different plate (to prevent the rice from burning), and this was something really interesting. Most of the flavor came from the sauce - which was creamy and tasted a lot like margarine (which I truly liked).

The meals above all came with unlimited rice and unlimited house soup. I wasn't able to photograph the bowls of the house soup, but my brother and I liked it a lot. We actually opted not to have drinks anymore (except for water at the end of our meal, of course), slurping the soup in between bites was enough for us.

As for the food the family shared, we had:

Sinigang na Salmon

Sinigang na Salmon. I loved how rich the soup was. It had the great balance of flavors, and the fish was cooked just right. This bowl had about 4 slices of salmon belly, not much, I know...but do know this bowl of comfort is just 69 pesos, so it was really a good buy.

Lumpiang Sariwa

Lumpiang Sariwa. Curiosity was the reason why they (bro and sis) ordered this, and it didn't disappoint me, but the sauce was a little too thick for my liking.

Calamares Fritos

Calamares Fritos. Sister suggested for us to try this because this is one of her Chic-Boy favorites. It tasted like something we would do at home, but a very big plus was that the squid was really tender.

Salmon Sashimi

Salmon Sashimi. Something brother and sister shared (mom had a slice, too), because they love sashimi! Brother said it was "bitin" (not enough), which meant he liked it, although he said the wasabi didn't have that much kick on it.

Pancit Canton

Pancit Canton. Birthday is not complete without any noodles, hence this one. This one had the type of noodles I prefer for a Pancit Canton (chewy and not soggy), the vegetables were crunchy, and it had a great amount of meat (pork, chicken, liver) in it. Picture grabbed from brother's camera, I actually forgot to take a picture of this.

Desserts? We had those, too! :)

Halo-Halo Halo-Halo

Halo-Halo. Hmmm... not my favorite that day, but the leche flan tasted great. :)

Turones con Leche

Turones con Leche. A very simple dessert, but is something my siblings and I really love (there was actually a time we went into a Chic-Boy branch just to eat this).

Our lunch lasted two hours. We truly had a lot to eat that even if we roamed around Makati then later on roamed around Bonifacio Global City after, we didn't feel the need to eat dinner anymore. A hearty fiesta shared with family... all for just below 1000 pesos. :)

- * - * - * -

I just noticed each Chic-Boy branches have their own sets of promos... checking Chic-Boy Pasay Road Facebook Page, I saw a few promos you might like to avail, if you're near the area:



The Chibog Affordable Meals are extended 'til November 15, by the way.


...and something generous people might want to avail since Christmas is less than a hundred days away.

All of us in the family are hearty eaters, and Chic-Boy is definitely a place where we can share great food, great chats, great time together. Happy birthday, mommy!


FTFBadge
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}