Wednesday, October 14, 2009

M - Mangosteen



Mangosteen

272/365 - Mangosteen

Copying what was written in Wikipedia - The Purple Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana), colloquially known simply as "the mangosteen", is a tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas of Indonesia. The tree grows from 7 to 25 m (20–80 ft) tall. The rind (exocarp) of the edible fruit is deep reddish purple when ripe. Botanically an aril, the fragrant edible flesh can be described as sweet and tangy, citrusy with peach flavor and texture.

Mangosteen is typically advertised and marketed as part of an emerging category of novel functional foods sometimes called "superfruits" presumed to have a combination of 1) appealing subjective characteristics, such as taste, fragrance and visual qualities, 2) nutrient richness, 3) antioxidant strength and 4) potential impact for lowering risk against human diseases.

Mangosteen is sometimes known as "The Queen of fruits" in parts of southeast Asia, notably Singapore and Malaysia. It is believed to have "cooling" properties that counteract the "heat" of durians, the so-called "King of fruits".


These mangosteen fruits were from my mom. I loved eating this fruit because of its tangy sweet taste, but sometimes I feel it's not worth the price (this fruit is quite expensive) because only the arils can be eaten, and the fruit is sold by weight. I always feel that the inedible part of the fruit was the heaviest part of it, thus making me "throw" essential part of my money. =)

A little trivia from a blogging friend, to know how many segments of arils inside the fruit, check the bottom part. The number of petal-like crown indicates the number of arils inside.

*** Jenn ***

4 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Well, it's certainly colorful, not sure it's anything I'd want to eat, but who knows???? Great shots!

Have a great day!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

Never even heard of it. Learn something new every day.fladv

Tumblewords: said...

The mangosteen juice is sold as an antioxidant. I've never seen one but it is surely a fascinating fruit. Terrific photos!

Unknown said...

Great pictures of very unique fruit! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}