Thursday, January 7, 2016

Recipe | Garlic Parmesan Wings

It is true, planning what to cook for a few people. For Noche Buena, my sister and I decided we will go for finger food, and among the different dishes we lined up, we both voted for Nachos and Chicken Wings. She allowed me to choose the flavor for the wings, and because I am not (now) into spicy food (heartburn), I searched thru YouTube for different wings recipes.



I came across CopyKat Recipes by Stephanie Manley, who posted a video tutorial for Wingstop's Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings. I still haven't dined at Wingstop, but this sounded good, so I jot down the recipe and made it on Christmas Eve.

Stephanie's original recipe -

Wingstop Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Serves - 4


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds chicken wings
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • Parsley for garnish - if desired
How to Cook

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Blend together flour, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper. Cut wings and dredge them in the flour. 
  • Heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry wings for about 5 to 7 minutes, and then drain on a wire rack. Depending upon the side of your pot fry 5 or 6 wings at a time. Be sure to stir the wings once during cooking to make sure that the wings cook evening. Cook the wings until they just begin to brown. 
  • Bake wings for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
  • Prepare the sauce by melting the butter and the garlic powder in a small pan. 
  • When the wings have finished cooking in the oven place the wings into a large bowl. 
  • Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese into the melted butter. 
  • Pour the melted garlic butter over the wings and toss until the wings are well coated.
  • Serve the wings by sprinkling the remaining Parmesan cheese top of the wings.



I only cooked six pieces (from 3 full wings), so I kinda just eye-balled the amount of ingredients to be used. I cooked this around 11pm on Christmas Eve, and only have an hour to cook, so I went for full frying method, skipping the baking part. For this recipe, I went for the double-fying technique, frying three pieces of chicken on low/medium heat for about 10 minutes, allowing it to rest while I fry the next batch. As soon as the second batch rests, I will re-fry the first batch of chicken in medium/high heat until it becomes golden and crispy. Right after taking this batch off the oil, I then coat it with the sauce and repeat the process with the second batch.

Since this is the first time I cooked such dish, I was a little hesitant in adding garlic powder, so the lack of garlic taste was evident. Even so, the dish tasted good, and the parmesan cheese gave it a new kind of saltiness that we really liked. A fairly easy dish to cook, for sure I will cook this again, but the next time I do, I might marinade the chicken in milk and garlic and I might use real garlic cloves while melting the butter. I didn't make a dipping sauce for this, I just added in some drops of hot sauce for a little kick. I will update this post once I try this recipe again.
 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}