Friday, June 10, 2011

Chicken and Ham Rolls

Second to the five recipes from Yummy Magazine (May 2011) I wanted to try...

Chicken and Ham Rolls

Chicken and Ham Rolls
{Serves 6 to 8}

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 1/2 kilo ground chicken
  • 1 (250-gram) pack sliced sweet ham, chopped finely
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pack medium lumpia (spring rolls) wrapper (20 pieces)
  • 2 packs sliced Cheddar cheese (250 grams or 12 slices per pack)
  • oil for deep frying
Ingredients (Dip):
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 medium carrot, grated finely
  • 1 teaspoon pickle relish
  • pinch of salt
How to Cook:
  • Make the dip: Combine all ingredients and set aside.
  • Heat oil in a medium pan and saute garlic and onion. Add ground chicken. Stir, breaking any lumps. Cook for about 8 minutes, then add ham. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
  • Assemble the rolls: Place a lumpia wrapper on a flat surface and lay a slice of cheese on top. Place a heaping tablespoon of the chicken-ham mixture in the center. Roll up the wrapper and seal by dampening the edges with water. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and wrappers.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Deep-fry rolls in batches until golden brown. Serve rolls immediately, along with the dip.

For this recipe, I used the cheese given to me at the Yummy Eats event, but because it's a block of cheese, I decided to just roughly chop the cheese and mix it together with the cheese and ham. I have tried cooking cheese rolls before and it could get a little messy once the melted cheese find its way out of the wrapper, so I didn't put that much.

This would be the first time I used chicken as filling and I loved it! This is a fairly easy dish to make that could be good for some snacking or good for serving guests as appetizers, and I am sure the kids would love it, too. :) Aside from the mayo dip, you can also serve this with sweet-chili sauce, or just the simple ketchup.

*** Jenn ***



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}