Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fish and Chips with Mango Butter Sauce

I realized sister hasn't cooked all the cream dory fish fillet and that the last fillet in the freezer has been covered by the hotdog pack, so I went to cook the fish for yesterday's lunch. This recipe was taken from the July 2011 issue of FOOD Magazine.

Fish and Chips in Mango-Butter Sauce

Fish and Chips with Mango-Butter Sauce
{Serves 2}

Ingredients:
  • 100 grams cream dory fish, cut into fillets
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • cooking oil (for frying)
  • french fries or potato wedges, fried
Ingredients (Mango-Butter Sauce):
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 ripe mango, cut into tiny pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
How to Cook (Fish):
  • Dip the dory fillets in flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
  • Deep-fry until golden brown. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the oil.
  • Serve with french fries and mango-butter sauce.
How to Cook (Mango-Butter Sauce):
  • In a pan, heat the butter and add the mango pieces. When the mixture becomes slightly thick, season with salt and pepper.

The sauce was simple to make, but even if I chopped the mango into very tiny pieces, I realized the fruit won't really "melt." I still had to mash the mango with fork just so the sauce won't be lumpy. My sister thought we should blend the mango first if we are to do this again. As for the taste, the mango gave this dish a summer-y feel. Although it had a hint of sweetness, it paired well with the fish, and my sister and I was able to consume all the sauce I made - we even dipped our fries in it. :) The fries I used for this were the ordinary fries bought from the market - which I just seasoned with salt and pepper.

One tweak I made: I marinated the fish in some lemon juice, salt, and pepper - just so I could use the remaining lemon before it dries up (it's been sitting in the fridge for more than a month now).

Although mango is a fruit that is not available all year round, I am glad we now have an alternative to the usual garlic aioli sauce we prepare whenever we cook fish and chips.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}