Friday, April 29, 2011

Mussels Relleno

One afternoon, mom came home with some mussels and asked me to cook it the usual way we do it (boil with some ginger), but since I just finished testing a recipe from FOOD Magazine Eat & Run, it made me remember a recipe using mussels, so I set aside five mussels to try it out.

Mussels Relleno


Mussels Relleno
{6 Servings}

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo mussels
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 cup ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped raisins
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup cooking oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley

How to Cook:
  • In a casserole, boil mussels in water until all shells are opened. Discard unopened shells. Remove mussels from the shells and reserve some of the shells. Chop the mussel meat.
  • In a bowl, combine mussel meat, onions, garlic, ground beef, raisins, green peas, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
  • Spoon filling into reserved shells. In a wok or deep frying pan, heat oil and fry mussels until top of filling is golden. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with parsley before serving.

Note(s) to Consider:
  • Be sure to buy mussels that are tightly shut.
  • Mussels are best bought early in the morning, when they are very fresh.

Cooking the dish, I got a little disappointed that my mussels became really brown, compared to the very light ones printed in the cook book. Giving me some sort of comfort, brother said pictures from cookbooks and magazines are more likely styled to look great in pictures. As for its taste, I loved it, and my mom loved it, too. Well, we had other dishes for dinner that night, I just made this to try the recipe, so my siblings and cousin Jayson ate the other dishes. The only problem I had was that the filling was a bit difficult to take out from the shell, but I guess it wouldn't matter that much because it tasted good. :)

*** Jenn ***

ps - The recipe calls for parsley as garnish, but we didn't have it that moment, so I just used grated cheese to garnish the dish, and I think it added a different taste to the mussels. Of course, you can try and use it, too, or just stick to recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}