Monday, August 3, 2015

Recipe | Cassava Cake

One time, my mom traveled to her hometown in Bolinao, Pangasinan and brought home some fresh cassava. That same time, I was quite into cooking videos on YouTube, and seeing the fresh cassava, it made me look for different videos for Cassava Cake. There are quite a few, but I decided to try Pinay Cooking Lessons's recipe instead.


Tes' Special Cassava Cake

Ingredients (cake):
  • 1 kilo grated cassava
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 cups thick coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup melted butter (plus additional for greasing pans)
  • 2 eggs
  • egg yellow food color (optional)

Ingredients (topping):
  • 1 cup thin coconut milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions:
  • Preheat oven at 340*F
  • Crack eggs in a bowl and beat lightly. Add melted butter (which has been cooled down to room temp), sugar, and thick coconut milk. Mix together and add food coloring if desired.
  • Once sugar is dissolved, add grated cassava and mix until thoroughly blended.
  • Prepare the pans by greasing the bottom and sides of the pans with melted butter. Pour cake batter on pans, giving enough space for expansion and topping. Bake until the batter firms up and the toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.
  • While the cake is baking, cook the topping. In a saucepan, place thin coconut milk and flour. Mix to dissolve flour, before adding condensed milk. Mix until well blended.
  • Turn on the stove, and under medium heat bring mixture to a boil while constantly stirring. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat. The topping will thicken as it cools down.
  • When the cake is cooked, pour topping, making sure that you divide the topping equally to number of pans used. If it becomes too thick, just add water to thin it down.
  • Place back the pan(s) in the oven and bake until the topping firms up and has turned brown.
  • Allow the cake to cool down completely before taking out of the pan. Serve on a platter as is, or slice into squares if desired.
For my cassava cake, I also added cheese on the toping, as requested by my sister. Personally, we preferred to have cheese on our cassava cake because we liked the contrast between sweet and savory.

The recipe turned out good. My sister loved it a lot, and I am thinking of baking some again for mom's household members in the church org.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}