Friday, February 1, 2013

My Thai (SM City Fairview)

My Thai
G/F SM City Fairview
Regalado Ave Greater Lagro, Quezon City
(02) 351-1627

It was another grocery day for us, and since we met mom after her work, it was already dinner time when we finished doing the errand. Thinking we would be too lazy to cook, we decided to eat before leaving the mall, and it was my decision for us to eat at My Thai (also known as My Thai Kitchen). I guess the first taste of Thai cuisine while I was in Baguio got me more interested in trying more of it, and I was glad my mom and brother approved my choice.

My Thai - SM Fairview

Located at the Annex Atrium, My Thai has a great spot because it's near the entrance/exit of the mall, and it's very near the entertainment area where some of the shows are held.

My Thai - SM Fairview

The space wasn't that big, but they didn't maximize it by adding more tables, so it still looked clean and pleasant. I liked the contrast between pink and black, and although I don't know what the stacks of drawers represent, I thought it was aesthetically nice.

Obviously, the restaurant serves Thai food, but part of the restaurant intersects with Pho Hoa (a Vietnamese restaurant), so diners of both restaurants can actually choose from both menus. I suggested to mom and brother that we order from My Thai menu, after all, we were seated at the My Thai area, and here's what we had:

Pad Thai

Pad Thai
Mom's choice. The menu offers different toppings - I remember we had to make a choice between chicken or shrimps, and mom went for the shrimps because it's one of her favorites. She was a little disappointed that the plate of noodles cost about 200 pesos, yet it only had 2 shrimps in it. Anyway, the flavor was good... the noodles were cooked perfectly, and the little amount of coriander allowed to give this dish that distinct Thai flavor. I personally don't like coriander that much, which was why I appreciated that they didn't go heavy on the herb. The serving is good enough to share, so even if there were a slight disappointment with the shrimps, mom said it was all okay.

Tom Kha Gai (Chicken with coconut lemon grass soup)

Tom Kha Gai (Chicken with Coconut Lemon Grass Soup)
Dishes at My Thai are quite expensive, and I didn't want us to spend a lot for this dinner as we already spent a fortune buying groceries. This was the cheapest soup on the menu, and like the Pad Thai, it was also good enough to share. I loved the harmonies of flavor came together - there were kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, coconut milk, and it also had a souring agent (possibly tamarind). If there was a complaint, it would have to be the chicken. The meat was cut so little and so thin, and there weren't that much meat on the bowl.

Khau Pad Goong (Shrimp Fried Rice)

Khau Pad Goong (Shrimp Fried Rice)
I thought the soup I ordered was good enough to pass as a viand, so I went to order a cup of rice. The presentation was good, and I was glad that it had enough chopped shrimps in it to satisfy me. The rice was very soft, and I was so happy that it didn't taste something like a suman or a paella. It was seasoned well, too!


Sauteed Chicken and Mushroom on Rice

Sauteed Chicken and Mushroom on Rice
I did suggest for us to order from the My Thai menu, but brother couldn't help but order at the Pho Hoa menu, because he still didn't know if he would like Thai food or not. I gave this one a taste and found it very tasty that I suggested we eat there next time.

Sampaloc Juice

Thai Tamarind Juice
It was obviously sour and it felt like drinking sinigang broth. Choosing this as my drink wasn't a good decision because the soup I ordered was sour, too.

Sticky Rice with Mango

Khao Neaw Mamuang (Sticky Rice with Mango)
One word to describe this would be "amazing!" The rice was so soft that it melts in the mouth, the mango had a good balance of tang and sweetness, and if the ice cream wasn't enough to make it creamy, there was this little serving of coconut cream to make it heavenly creamy! It was such a great way to end the meal, and tasting this made me hope I can cook something like this, too.

My Thai wasn't the best Thai restaurant I've been to, so it will take a very long time before I dine there again. I know for sure there are other Thai restaurants that serve better food (some even cheaper), so I'd explore more before I come back here.



FTFBadge
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}