Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ABC Wednesdays | D - Danish Baker

With so many baked products being sold in supermarkets and many small-scale bakeries around the neighborhoods, buying different kinds of bread has been so easy. However, whenever I am in La Union, there will be instances that I'd visit Danish Baker in San Fernando City because of their Pan de Sal.

Danish Baker has been in the business since 1991. I am not sure why they're called "Danish Baker," but based on the website I checked, they use modern European baking equipment, so I assume that might be the reason for that. Anyway, last November, my sister and I spent our last day in La Union eating at a restaurant in San Fernando City, and because we would be traveling back to Manila that same night, we decided to buy some baked goodies...where else, but at Danish Baker.

Danish Baker Goodies

I wasn't able to take pictures of the bakeshop because there were a lot of people (this bakery is always filled with customers) and I didn't want to make a scene should the store manager tell me taking pictures aren't allowed. The bakery might be known for their huge and yummy Pan de Sal, but they also sell different kinds of bread - loves, sweet kinds, even savory ones. For this particular visit, sister and I chose the ones we liked to eat while traveling, while the Pan de Sal we bought for our Aunt Julie as she doesn't go to San Fernando that often because of work schedules (our place is two towns away from the City).

Banana Cake Slice

Banana Cake Slice
Sister and I bought a slice each, because Banana Cake is one of our favorites. This slice was small for its price, but it surely is delicious! I personally love the outer part of the cake, so I see to it that I took the end slice. :)

Choco Ensaymada

Choco Ensaymada
Ensaymada (or Ensaimada) is a pastry product that originated in Spain, and is one of the many Spanish influences in the Philippines (the country was under Spain for 300 years, in case you wanna know). Typically, Ensaymada is a bun-like bread with margarine and grated cheese on top, but as time passed, there were just so many innovations. This particular Ensaymada had chocolate sprinkles and creamy frosting, but because the actual bun was still the typical Ensaymada, I wasn't so pleased with it (but it tasted good).

Ube Ensaymada

Ube Ensaymada
Unlike the Choco Ensaymada, this Ensaymada is color purple, which meant Ube (or Purple Yam) has been incorporated to the bread. Not only that, it also had Ube Jam mixed with the creamy frosting plus grated cheese on top, making it an instant favorite.

Cinnamon Roll

Cinnamon Bread Roll
Not as soft as my favorite Cinnamon Roll, but it had lots of nuts and raisins apart from the good cinnamon taste.

Pan de Sal

Pan de Sal
Another Spanish influence which meant "Salted Bread," this is the ultimate Filipino bread. It's perfect with any kinds of spreads, but because it already has the subtle salty flavor, it's good enough to eat as is, but some Filipinos dip their Pan de Sal in their hot coffee or chocolate. This is quite expensive at 4 pesos each (small scale bakeries in the neighborhood sells Pan de Sal for 1 - 2 pesos a piece), but it's already big enough to make one full after one bread. Just a word of caution... these Pan de Sal are quite fragile when hot or warm, so when you buy some at Danish Baker, be sure not to put pressure on the bag as the bread pieces will deform.

While lining up to pay for the goodies we bought, we noticed that Danish Baker has a few tables and chairs and that they also offer some snacks (pasta, sandwiches, as well as assorted drinks), so I told my sister the next time we're there, we will try to dine there so we could make a much longer blog post in the future.

The Danish Baker is located along the National Highway (Quezon Avenue), and is open everyday from 6am 'til 8:30pm.


 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}