Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recipe | Tuna Spring Rolls

I love fried Spring Rolls! The crunch and the thought that it is something fried satisfies the "unhealthy" eater in me, but since I am now taking the journey to wellness, I am now finding ways to modify the food I am feeding myself.

While browsing the Yummy 100 Everyday Recipes cookbook (a collection of different recipes from past issues of Yummy Magazines), I saw this spring rolls recipe that surely fits my food preference now.

Tuna Spring Rolls

Tuna Spring Rolls
{Serves 4 - 6}

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
  • 2 (155-gram) cans tuna in oil, drained and flaked
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped raisins
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 pieces lumpia (spring rolls) wrapper
  • oil for frying
  • sweet-chili sauce for dipping

How to Cook:
  • Heat oil the saute onions then garlic. Add red bell pepper and carrots and cook until soft.
  • Add tuna and raisins, mix well. Season with soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  • Place a heaping tablespoon at the edge of a lumpia wrapper. Roll up to enclose the filling. Moisten the edge with water and press tightly to seal. Do the same for all the wrappers.
  • Deep-fry the tuna rolls in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet-chili sauce.

I normally don't eat raisins, but since the raisins here were chopped and mixed with the other ingredients, I just ate it. Raisins have a lot of health benefits; come to think of it, the filling of the spring rolls were much healthier compared the to typical Lumpiang Shanghai (ground pork based). Frying this, I used soya oil.

Munching on these reminded me of empanada and embotido, maybe because of the raisins and the bell peppers. Hmmm... I think I will try to make embotido out of it in the future, making it healthier because it would be steamed and not fried.

Whether eaten with rice or as is, I am sure you'd love it. Of course, if you prefer it to be spicy, just use spicy tuna.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}