Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Halabos na Hipon

Halabos na Hipon

Shrimps in the Philippine national language is called "hipon," and the easiest way of cooking it is by "halabos." To do this, simply place the shrimps on a pan, put a very little amount of water and a dash of salt and allow it to cook until water has almost evaporated.

This dish was something we had for lunch when we went to Balicasag Island in Bohol, as part of our sea tour. We left the resort very early to go see the dolphins (swimming freely in Bohol's water) then the boat driver took us to Balicasag Island where we stayed for a while. Some of our companions rented a smaller boat that took them to a marine sanctuary, while mom and I stayed behind to watch over our stuff.

At the island, some residents sell seafood, and upon purchasing, the residents will ask the tourists how they wanted the seafood to be cooked. Apart from the shrimps, we also bought two different kinds of fish, one we asked to be grilled, the other was cooked a la sinigang (sour broth).

I am a big seafood eater, but it was just this year (I think) that I started craving for shrimps. My most favorite shrimp dish would be the tempura, followed by the halabos. This may be the simplest way of cooking the shrimps, but because it was only seasoned with salt, I could get to fully taste the natural taste of the shrimps.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}