Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pineapple Pie

Pineapple Pie

ABC_Wed_8

Before pastry shops sprouted around the metro, there was the Merced Bakeshop, where the family used to buy cakes for family celebrations. It's not popular now (I bet people from this generation might not know about it), but I am so happy that it's still selling cakes and pastries. Even then, my favorite was their Pineapple Pie, and up to this date, it still is my most favorite pastry. It's nothing compared to the very complex and very well decorated chocolate cakes and all other kinds of pie, but I guess what made this my favorite was my connection to it - growing up in a poor family, sometimes it was very difficult for us to indulge, and having a piece of this pie for us family to share was enough for us to say we were blessed for having desserts.

One time last week, mom came home with three pies (one for each of us - brother was out of town), and after taking a picture, I quickly ate my share as it was a year ago when I last ate one. With each bite and chew, it reminded me of my childhood and yes, I really savored every bite.

It is true that we only have one life to live, and that we don't know just until when our existence will be, so we really have to seize every moment that comes to us... including indulging ourselves with things we love to do - dessert eating included. But of course, that doesn't mean we would pig out and act as gluttons... I think moderation is still the key. :)

Enjoy good food, enjoy life, enjoy your existence. When you're stressed or disappointed, just do something you love to do - even if means eating a pie.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}