Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chicken Wings with Chocolate-y Hot Sauce

Sometime last October, my sister and I went out for some bonding moments, when she asked me if it was just fine if she would go to the nail salon for a much needed pedicure. I didn't see any problem with that, but while waiting for the whole thing, I admit I got a little bored. Good thing, the salon had different magazines to entertain the guests, and because my sister didn't want to read, I did the reading myself.

As I was browsing the Sept 2010 issue of Good Housekeeping, one recipe caught my attention, so I took a picture of it and tried it out a few days later.

Chicken Wings with Chocolate-y Hot Sauce


Chicken Wings with Chocolate-y Hot Sauce
{serves 5 to 7}

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo chicken wings, tips cut off
  • 1 1/2 cups all - purpose flour for dredging
  • salt and pepper
  • oil for deep frying
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dark chocolate

How to Cook:
  • Wash chicken wings and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour.
  • In a heavy-bottomed pan or deep fryer, deep fry the chicken pieces. Set aside.
  • In a large pan, melt butter then add the hot sauce. Stir well. Turn off heat and add chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted.
  • Transfer cooked chicken to a large bowl, the pour the hot sauce. Toss well, making sure each piece is well coated with the dark spicy sauce.

Note to Consider:
  • If you like thick battered chicken, dip the chicken pieces in a mixture of water, flour, and egg before deep frying.

So... how did I find it? At first bite it was okay. The blend of sweet, bitter, and salty in the palate was a good change, but after eating one wing, I couldn't eat any more. Maybe because it got bitter and bitter, or... my mind was telling me it tasted weird. Since this recipe was published in a magazine, I am sure they kitchen tested it first, so I don't know... maybe I didn't execute the recipe enough, since I only cooked 4 wings - two for me, two for my sister. Eating my second wing, I scraped off the sauce and just dipped my chicken in the ever reliable banana ketchup.

I am not in the position to tell people not to try this, because I know each individual has their own preferences, but... should you find this interesting enough to try it, just do it with one wing first, or just coat one for that matter and taste if you'd like it or not. If you do, then coat all the rest of the chicken with sauce. If not, then serve the chicken as is. Another alternative was to serve the sauce on the side.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}