Friday, December 28, 2012

Recipe | Prawn and Pork Wonton Triangles

Every time we have a new culinary magazine at home or whenever I get my hands on any cookbooks, I'd always take the time to check the recipes if there is something easy to do that I could recreate at home. While checking my notebook with a list of the recipes I would like to try, I came across this and thought it would be a good pica-pica dish to serve on Noche Buena.

This recipe was by celebrity chef Him Uy de Baron and was taken from the October 2010 issue of Yummy Magazine, and is also printed on their website.

Prawn & Pork Wonton Triangles

Prawn and Pork Wonton Triangles
{makes 20 to 24 dumplings}

Ingredients:
  • 150 grams pork picnic (kasim), minced into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 50 grams pork back fat, minced into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 150 grams prawns, minced into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 10 grams dried woodear mushrooms, reconstituted in warm water and  minced into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • dash of pepper
  • 2 tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion
  • 20 to 24 pieces wonton wrappers
  • 1 egg, whisked, to use as egg wash
  • oil for deep-frying
  • sweet chili sauce, to serve
How to Cook:
  • Place all the ingredients in a bowl except wonton wrappers, egg, oil, and chili sauce; mix together.
  • Make wonton triangles by placing a spoonful of the prawn-pork mix into the center of each wrapper. Brush with egg wash and fold to make triangles.
  • Heat enough oil to deep-fry the triangles. Make sure that the oil is not too hot that the wrappers blister and brown within seconds. Fry in batches and drain excess oil on paper towels. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Even if I planned for this dish to be a part of our Noche Buena, it wasn't as perfect as I hoped it would be, because I forgot to buy the spring onions and it was already too late when I realized I was missing one ingredient. I also bought the small size wonton wrappers, so I didn't place a full tablespoon of filling, I just placed enough to fold the wrappers and sealing the edges.

This wasn't y first time to cook a related recipe. Back then, I attempted to do a ham and cheese wonton triangle and it was such a disaster. I learned (by cooking this recipe) that the oil didn't have to be so hot so the wrappers won't brown in seconds.

Despite not having the spring onions (which I think would add more dimension to the taste), it still turned out okay. All the wonton triangles I served were eaten so quickly, and my sister even requested me to cook it again because what we left for her (she didn't eat Noche Buena with us as she was already sleeping) weren't enough to satisfy her. Next time, I'd definitely put in the spring onions and would compare the taste.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}