Wednesday, December 16, 2009

V - Vienna Sausage



Vienna Sausage

According to WiseGeek.Com, "Vienna sausages are a type of sausage traditionally made in the Austrian city of Vienna. They are closely related to Frankfurters, sausages produced in Frankfurt, Germany, and food historians believe that the original Vienna sausage was probably produced by a butcher who had traveled to Frankfurt. Modern Vienna sausages are typically found in canned form in many parts of the world, and they vie with Frankfurters for the claim of being the original hot dog. Some producers also make miniature Vienna sausages which are used on appetizer platters."

Although not my favorite kind of sausage, we always make it a point to put a can or two of the vienna sausage whenever we do grocery shopping because it's already pre-cooked, and we can just open a can and eat it when we are quite lazy to cook something up. This can of sausage is made from beef, something I prefer to eat. I can just eat this straight from the can, but sometimes I would make thin slices and put it in my bread.

*** Jenn ***

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Haven't had any of those in many years! Thanks for the memory, Jenn! Fun post!

Enjoy your day!

Sylvia

Tumblewords: said...

It's been a while since I've had one of these but sure do remember them - they'd make a good pantry staple for surprise guests or lazy dinners. (I'm all for lazy dinners. :))

i♥pinkc00kies said...

love love love!!

Roger Owen Green said...

Haven't had those in years! I'll have to try again!

jay said...

Mmm! I've never had Vienna Sausage, but I have had frankfurters. I quite like them!

Mirage said...

thing is Vienna sausages are not sold like that here :) They are the same with frankfurters only in Vienna they are called Frankfurters and in Frankfurt they are called Wiener (Wien is Vienna in German) ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}