Wednesday, December 2, 2009

T - Takuyaki



Takuyaki Stand

Takuyaki

Taken from the Philippine Franchise website, "Takuyaki was developed and invented by a Japanese named Endo Tomekichi of Osaka, Japan in 1935 and founded the first Takuyaki shop called Aizuya. The meal quickly spread among the people of Osaka and nationally by Yatai, a mobile stand often seen in fairs. It was so popular that 60% of Osaka household owns Takuyaki griddle. It became famous that it’s seen as a future “fast food” commodity of Japan and to be distributed worldwide. Currently, Takuyaki is marketed not only in Japan but also in China, Taiwan, Macao, Hong Kong and in the United States.

Takuyaki are cooked in what looks like black egg crates called Teppan or Griddles. Turning each hallow mold with a sharp probe twisting to sphere and be cooked evenly. Once ready, each ball is pierced with a toothpick (for neater eating), slathered with a choice of classic or hot & spicy sauce and sprinkled with Bonito powder. This magnificent snack that is nutritious, delicious, unique and most of all very affordable."

The first time I heard of the food was through an anime (Japanese cartoon). In March 2008, I tasted my very first takuyaki courtesy of a treat from my good friend Ahdz. It was indeed very delicious. The balls have cabbage and carrots inside - it's like a ball-shaped pancake with vegetables and foodies have a choice of flavored bonito powder topping, be it pork, chicken, or beef. I always go for beef.

*** Jenn ***

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never had it but I am sure it would be delish! : )

Vicky said...

yes, I have tried Takuyaki once and I must say its yummy and it's getting quite popular over here too.
have a great week.

Roger Owen Green said...

Amazingly tasty-looking fast food.

Tumblewords: said...

I'll be happy to find some here - it looks delicious!

Judi said...

It sounds like and looks delicious! I hope I get a chance to try it soon.

Jeanny said...

I love takiyaki. :)

Sa gateway ba ito? Sayang wla na yung stall na yun buti n alang nagkaroon sa shopwise :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}