Friday, November 1, 2013

Recipe | Fish Cakes Salad

There are so many ways to create your own salad, but I still haven't explored about it yet, so whenever I make my salad at home, I usually stay with the typical ingredients - lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, and sometimes, tomatoes. Even if I go for these ingredients time after time, I do try to mix and match, so I won't get tired eating the same ingredients over and over again.

My mom cooked some Paksiw na Galunggong for lunch and this I used to create this salad for my dinner that day.

Fish Cake Salad

Fish Cakes Salad
{serves 1}

Ingredients - Fish Cakes

  • Leftover fish from Paksiw na Galunggong - bones removed, meat flaked
  • Finely minced garlic and onion
  • Finely minced chili fingers (optional)
  • Flour and/or Cornstarch
  • Panko Breadcrumbs (optional)
  • Paksiw sauce (as needed)
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Oil for frying
How to Cook - Fish Cakes
  • Mix all ingredients except for the oil. 
  • Using a melon baller or a measuring spoon, scoop out mixture, roll it with the palms then flat it. Do this until all the mixture has been prepared into little patties.
  • Heat oil and fry the patties until brown. Drain on paper towels, and set aside.
Ingredients - Salad
  • Lettuce of your choice (I used a combination of romaine and lollo rosso)
  • Carrots, julienned
  • Cucumber, diced
  • Tomatoes, diced 
  • Green bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • Red Onion, sliced paper thin
  • Pomelo
  • Store bought Thousand Island Dressing, mixed with ground pepper
How to Assemble - Salad
  • Layer your salad ingredients in your choice of plate or bowl
  • Top with the fish cakes
  • Drizzle with dressing.

Fish Cake Salad

Things to know:
> If you don't have leftover fish paksiw, you can use any kind of fish you like - just cook it in water with your choice of seasonings (salt, pepper... with onions, garlic, and bay leaf if you like) then flake it. Or, you can just boil / steam the fish then flake it.
> If you want to go with the Paksiw, cook the fish with vinegar, salt, pepper, chili fingers, onion, garlic, and ginger. Set it aside for a few hours so the vinegar sauce would penetrate the fish meat.
> To bind the mixture, I used the vinegar sauce from the paksiw, but you can also use 1 egg as your binder. I decided not to go with the egg to lessen the calorie content of my meal.
> You can pan fry the patties or use a pan grill. The choice is up to you. Since the fish was pre-cooked, all that was needed was to crust the outer parts of the patty for added texture.

This salad tasted like sandwich minus the bread. The pomelo provided more tang into the dish, and now I can say that I love, love, love having fruit on my salad. This is one versatile dish and you can go with different choices. You can also go with your choice of dressing - the Mango Vinaigrette went well with this, too.


FTFBadge
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}