Thursday, July 19, 2012

Banana Cake

Baking is something I really don't know how to do. Sure I love pastries every now and then, but I still haven't fully experienced the joys of baking. In fact, it was something I really hope I learn how to do that I even wrote it on my Bucket List.

Celebrations by Sharon Cake Mix Banana Cake!

About two weeks ago, I received a package from the Maya Kitchen, including two small boxes of cake mixes. At first I was sad about it because I knew I couldn't use it, but reading the cooking directions, I realized these cake mixes can be cooked using the Oven Toaster and/or the steamer. I love Banana Cake, so I decided to use it first.

Aside from the cake mix, other ingredients needed are:
  • 1 piece (medium size) egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup mashed bananas 
  • 3 tablespoons oil 
It's quite easy to prepare, but do add in the bananas and oil last, making sure there are no lumps in the batter. I mashed 2 bananas, which was a little more than 1/3 cup, but I just added it all anyway. The oil, I only put 2 tablespoons.

Steaming Some Muffins

We didn't have a loaf pan, so for this, I used these mini muffin cups. I bought these a long time ago, back then I just bought it for the heck of it, now I am glad I was able to use it. I filled the cups about 3/4 of the way and placed the steamer pan when the water started to boil. I didn't want water from steam to flood my cakes, so I covered the pan with a cheesecloth before placing the lid. Some 10 minutes after, the cakes looked like this.

Steamed Banana Muffins

I took them out after 15 minutes - but I did prick it with a toothpick just to be sure it's cooked properly. It may not be baked, but it did taste and feel like it was baked!

Steamed Banana Cake

I only have 6 small tin muffin cups, and even if I brushed it with all, there were still some morsels of cake sticking onto it, making me feel doing it with the cups were a bit too tedious to do - as I still have to wash the cups before I could repeat the steaming process. Brother suggested I use the Leche Flan tin mold to steam the remaining batter, and the result was this.

I let my family taste it and they all liked it and said it tasted like the ones bought at a pastry shop. Well, it sure is good to know that I don't really need an oven to enjoy banana cake... but of course I still hope to bake my own cake or pastry in the near future.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}