Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ginisang Mais

My mom's favorite food aside from prawns and crabs is the corn. She can be satisfied eating steamed corn for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and she will never complain about it. She loves the white corn more than the yellow ones, but regardless of their color, whenever it's corn season, the house expects a lot of corn to be eaten.

Anyway, one time last week, mom was eating white corn for dinner, and I asked her that the next time she buys corn, buy extra 2 cobs for me so I could cook this dish. Mom liked the idea, and two days after, she bought 2 kilos of corn, one we will steam, the other kilo for this dish (so mom could bring some in the office).

This dish was once cooked by dad when I was a kid, and I loved it... I guess I was feeling nostalgic that's why I hoped to taste it again.



Corn Soup with Ampalaya

Ginisang Mais
{serves 6}

Ingredients:
  • 4 white corn cobs
  • 1/4 kilo ground pork
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium sized onion, chopped
  • 1 shrimp bouillon cube
  • ampalaya leaves
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • water
  • salt
Directions:
  • Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
  • In a pot, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, and pork. When the pork turns brownish, add the bouillon cube until it melts. Add the corn kernels and stir a bit before adding enough water for it to cook. Add more water gradually if it becomes dry. Season according to your preference.
  • When the corn is cooked and the broth becomes a little thick, add the ampalaya leaves, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Serve after a few minutes.
Personal Notes:
  • The ampalaya leaves will give a bitter taste, so if you don't like that, you can use either malunggay or chili leaves.
  • If you're not into pork, you can omit it and replace it with small fresh shrimps, but just use the meat. Take out the heads and the skins first.
Personally, I can eat the dish by itself, no need for rice, but brother and mom loved to eat it with rice. Another good addition would be fried fish on the side, but that's totally optional. Dishes like this can certainly give warmth during the rainy season.

*** Jenn ***

6 comments:

Bogie said...

Corn is my favorite too. I also love to eat this dish with rice. The photo makes me hungry :D

Fex said...

wow, yummy naman nito, thanks for sharing :)

☺lani☺ said...

Favorite hg husband ko, pero di ko alam lutuin...thanks for sharing!

i♥pinkc00kies said...

what i miss is the guintaang mais! the one with malagkit.. or minsan they just cook it with gata (i think this one naman is a dish from bicol)... perfect merienda :)

nanay said...

yes! I love to eat corn also...

William pani said...

I love this dish Lalong lano na kapag si mother ang nagluto... Ngayon ako naman ang cook.. Thanks for sharing..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}