Wednesday, November 18, 2009

R - Rattan Fruit



Rattan Fruit

Whenever I go to Baguio City, I always see this fruit being sold in the stores. I didn't really give them that much attention because by the looks of it, it seemed to be part of the lychee or longan family, and since I don't eat those fruits, I don't see any reason to bother about this fruit.

Last July, when I attended a church org conference in Baguio City, we arrived early in the city and decided to go to Mines View Park to unwind, check the scenery, and enjoy the day. A friend of mine went to this kiosk and ask about their strawberry wine. She said her father loves to taste different kinds of fruit wines, and she was planning on giving him a bottle. The kiosk was offering a free taste, and soon our friends came to taste it, too. The kiosk was selling this fruit, so I asked a bit about it.

The vendor said it's rattan fruit. I was surprised when I heard it, I didn't know rattan has fruits - all along I thought rattan was only for furniture. Anyway, searching about the fruit, I found out that not all species of rattan has edible fruits. The fruits from the variety with a bigger vine diameter is edible. I still haven't tasted the fruit, but the vendor said that underneath the snakeskin looking peel are segments of fruit and it has a sweet-sour taste. Other fruits are slightly sour, and some are sweeter than it is sour.

The vendor wouldn't allow me to have a free taste, and I am a bit apprehensive in buying, so I guess we are in the same page - just thinking how it really taste like. =)

*** Jenn ***

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Well, it is an interesting looking fruit, but I'm like you, not sure I'm ready to take a bite! Fun post, great shot!

Enjoy!

Sylvia

jabblog said...

Fascinating strange-looking fruits. They remind me of artichokes.
I'd never considered where rattan came from . . .
(The word verification is BADDFUN - how funny!)

photowannabe said...

Fascinating information. the fruit looks artificial. Good post.

Joy said...

It looks lovely in its covering. I don't think I would be able to resist buying one to see how it tasted.

Tumblewords: said...

I think I'd have to try one - at least once! It's quite fascinating.

Roger Owen Green said...

Maybe next time you're there, if they are on sale, you can take a chance on one.

irah said...

well im eating one right now, my favorite fruit!! super sour! best with salt, sugar and some chili!

Anonymous said...

I just tried it earlier, my mom bought it out of curiosity. I like sour fruits, except this one. I can't handle it's taste, it was like kamias but the intensity of sourness was more. I didn't give another try tasting it..

Unknown said...

I saw these in S&R,got fascinated and ended up buying a bunch. Then when I got home I tried one segment... 'Putek! Ang asim.' Good thing it's price was cheap. Still wondering what to do with them if I could use it for sinigang. My goodness.. 'GRABE ASIM!'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}