Wednesday, November 25, 2009

S = Suman

Suman is a native Philippine food made from glutinous rice or grated cassava and coconut milk wrapped in either banana or palm leaves and is steamed until cooked. It is often served as breakfast or snacks, and is sprinkled with sugar or grated coconut (the mature ones). Some say it is also best paired with ripe mangoes. A hot cup of coffee makes the meal complete.



241/365 - Suman

There are so many varieties of the suman, with different parts of the country having their own version. In my mom's hometown, they would put the glutinous rice in a bamboo trunk, and is cooked in fire. This picture is the Suman sa Ibos, one of the most popular variety of the food. It is unique in its way because it is wrapped in coiled palm leaf and is steamed in water with turmeric, giving it its yellowish color. This one has a slight salty taste, and can be eaten alone. Of course, if you'd ask me, I'd dip it in some sugar. =)

The wrapping of suman is an art. Although majority of it were wrapped using banana or palm leaves, there are suman that are elongated while some are triangular in shape.

Budbud Kabog

The most interesting suman I have seen and tasted was the Budbud Kabog, a suman native to the Visayan regions of the country. Instead of using rice and / or cassava, the main ingredient for this one is the Millet Seed (which looks like bird seeds) - a grain used in making chapati and roti. This one has a slightly sweeter taste, so no need for the extra sugar. I bought these in the weekend market in Salcedo Village, Makati City - a very expensive food for 25php a piece, but it was really worth it.

*** Jenn ***

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So interesting! : )

moongipsies said...

very interesting.. I love to hear about foods from all over :)

Tumblewords: said...

The ripe mango addition caught my interest. These are beautifully wrapped suman, for sure!

Joy said...

Sounds yummy. I love millet.

Roger Owen Green said...

another food I've not even heard of. interesting.

i♥pinkc00kies said...

I agree! Budbud Kabog's so yummy.. i tried their mango and ube flavors too.. :D

Try Tita Lyn's flavored suman-- also P25/pc. Their mango and ube flavors are good.My sister loves the choco flavors!

for the regular suman, I like the one with latik/ brown sauce, or the sweet ones dipped in sugar!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}