Monday, September 15, 2014

Leann's Tea House (Quezon City)

One thing I have learned about food blogging is that there is pleasure in trying new cuisines. I may have not tasted a whole lot of food from other nations, but those I love, I try to eat every now and then. When it comes to Korean food, I have tasted and cooked a few dishes, so when I learned that there is a new Korean restaurant that is not that far from our place, I knew I just have to try it out.

Leanne's Tea House
Leanne's Tea House Leanne's Tea House

Leann's Tea House is a newly opened Korean restaurant run by a family of food connoisseurs. This food place opened last April 2014 and is born out of love for Korean food when the Chua family visited Korea. One of the Chua daughters - Jaclyn - married a Korean, and their first born child is named Leann, to whom the restaurant is named after.

The restaurant has a rather small floor area, but they have three floors to accommodate guests. For this food trip, we were at the second floor, which really had a homey feel.

Side Dishes

Korean Side Dishes
Clockwise from top left - Kimchi, Lettuce Salad, Bean Sprouts, and Potato Salad. I tried all four, and it was the Lettuce Salad I loved the most!

{More dishes after the jump}
Japchae

Japchae
Glass noodles with mixed vegetables and beef.

This is probably the very first Korean food I have tasted - something my father's aunt used to give us while I stayed in La Union. Anyway, I always loved the glass noodles' texture - it was firm but easy to chew, and the vegetables were cooked perfectly to add more crunch and contrast of textures.

Ojinguh Bokkeum (Spicy Squid)

Ojinguh Bokkeum (Spicy Squid)
I admit I was apprehensive to try this because I am not a very big fan of spicy food. Well, I do love a kick of spice, but I prefer a little spicy dip on the side rather than making the entire dish spicy. This one, although spicy, was something anyone can tolerate. It wasn't as spicy as Kimchi, something I really appreciated.

Fried Mandu (Fried Dumplings)

Fried Mandu (Fried Dumplings)
This I wasn't able to taste, but it looked crispier than Gyoza.

Korean Seafood Pancake

Korean Seafood Pancake
If there is one Korean dish I love, it would be this. We were told that Korean pancake - called Pajeon - uses spring onions, but the spring onions here in the Philippines has stronger flavor that those in Korea, so they used chives for this. Seafood included squid and shrimps. Very, very, very delicious!!!

Tonkatsu Kimbap

Tonkatsu Kimbap
Deep fried rice roll wrapped in breaded pork.

This dish blew me away! It was like Futomaki with a twist! The thin layer of breaded pork made it more interesting... and this can be a one dish meal as it already had rice, meat, and other relishes. If you happen to pass by Leann's Tea House, I suggest you go try this one. It's so good!

Bibimbap

Bibimbap
Probably one of the most well known and loved Korean dish, this one was seasoned well and made better with a dallop of spicy paste included in the meal.

Kimchi Bokkeumbap

Kimchi Bokkeumbap
Kimchi fried rice with pork.

Leann's Tea House serves regular plain rice, but you can also try this, if you're not into vegetables present in Bibimbap. The Kimchi here was milder compared to eating it solo and the rice-kimchi mix went well with grilled meat.

Meat Grill time

Grilled Meat Selection

For those not familiar with Korean food, Leann's Tea House offers grilled meat, which you can actually grill on your table, so you can control the doneness of your meat. Typically, you can grill two kinds of meat - Samgyeopsal (pork belly) and Woosamgyup (beef belly). Since these cuts of meat are fatty, you don't need to grease the pan and just cook it until it becomes opaque or brown. You then season it with sesame oil mixed with salt and pepper as well as a drop or two of the spicy dip before eating it. Variations you can try - adding garlic slices on your oil dip as well as eating the meat with onions and lettuce.

Leann's Tea House currently has an on-going promo for grilled meat - Unli Samgyeopsal for 349 pesos and Unli Samgyeopsal / Woomsamgyup for 399 pesos. This promo is subject to terms and conditions, just feel free to ask any of the restaurant's staff about it.

Other grilled meat you can order - L.A. Galbi or barbecued high grade beef short ribs (which has a tint of sweetness), Sweet Pork Barbecue (which reminded me of tocino), and Spicy Pork Barbecue.

Seafood Doenjang Jjigae

Seafood Doenjang Jjigae
Seafood Soybean Soup

A very tasty soup to try that goes well with the grilled meat.

Frozen Tea Sampler

Frozen Tea Sampler

Leann's Tea House offer different kinds of drinks, including this Frozen Tea Sampler, which consists of Black Tea, Red Ginseng, Green Tea, and Omija.

You can also try their house tea - Corn Tea - and their dessert tea selection - Honey Jujube Tea, Honey Citron Tea, and Honey Ginger Tea.

Korean Ice Cream

As for the dessert, they serve a selection of Korean Ice Cream.

Leann's Tea House is located at 105-R Mother Ignacia St. Quezon City. To get there, you can hail any of the green tricycles located at the MRT Quezon Avenue station. For added details and inquiries, you may contact them thru landphone - 4118902 or by sending them an e-mail at leannesteahouse@gmail.com

You may also like their Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/leannsteahouse - and follow them on Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/leannsteahouse - to be updated about their on going promos and treats.

Leann's Tea House
105-R Mother Ignacia St., Quezon City
telephone - 4118902

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}