Friday, March 1, 2013

Recipe | Mini Fiesta Frittatas

It's been a while since I last shared a recipe, and yesterday I was happy to be able to cook something new for the family. I have wanted to try this for the longest time, but whenever I attempt to do it, I will forget one key ingredient, making me put it on hold. Zucchinis are quite cheap when we last do our major grocery shopping, so I really told myself I'd test this recipe.

This recipe is part of Yummy Magazine's "Baon" Cookbook, and is also printed on their website. Here's the original recipe:

Mini Fiesta Frittatas

Mini Fiesta Frittatas
{Makes 12 pieces}

Ingredients:
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/3 cup diced sweet or spiced ham
  • 1/3 cup grated melting cheese
  • 1/2 cup diced zucchini
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
  • oil for greasing

How to Cook:
  • In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in ham, cheese, zucchini, and red bell pepper.
  • Grease a 12-cup regular muffin pan with oil. Using a ladle, fill muffin cups with egg mixture until three-fourths full.
  • Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven until mixture puffs and sets in the center, about 10 to 12 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen frittatas from the muffin cups and transfer to a platter.
Veggie tip: Make this into a vegetarian dish by omitting the ham and adding more veggies. Play around with different vegetables such as blanched broccoli, fried eggplant, or roasted squash.

For this recipe, I only used 4 large eggs. We don't have an oven and we don't have a muffin pan, so for this, I used the silicone muffin cups, lined with aluminum foil, just to make it easier to remove from the cup, but proved to be difficult to eat. I first steamed the egg cups for about 10 minutes, let it rest for a while, then popped them in the oven toaster for 3 minutes, just to roast the top part. Since I didn't brush the cups with oil, I went ahead and added a little Dari Creme (Herb & Garlic) on top before putting them in the oven toaster to give it additional flavor. Personally, I think it made the frittatas taste better. I made about 8 frittatas, using 1/4 cup of mixture per muffin cup.

I loved how it tasted, but please go easy on the salt with this one. The ham already had its own seasoning, and the cheese is quite salty, too, so be sure you add just a little salt. No need for dips and sauces here, but I think the old reliable ketchup might boost more flavors. Next time I'd try this using bacon or native (crumbled) longganisa.

Mini Fiesta Frittatas

Just a little test in the kitchen. I cooked one frittata using the oven toaster, to let me know if I could use just the oven toaster should I cook this again. The one at the front was the one cooked in the oven toaster, the rest were steamed first. Steaming + Oven Toaster resulted in a fluffier effect, while the one cooked in the Oven Toaster appeared flat. Setting the oven toaster for 10 minutes cooked the eggs completely, but there were toasted part around and at the bottom of the cup. The top remained yellowish with no hints of toasting because I covered it loosely with aluminum foil.

I still can't decide which method was the best for me. I guess cooking it in the oven toaster saves time as I was able to cook it in 10 minutes flat... but I am still bound to experiment using different cups to make it look presentable.

Foodie Friends Friday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}