Friday, March 9, 2012

Recipe | Aglio Olio Spaghetti with Sprimps

In one TV Cooking Show, I learned that there are three kinds of pasta sauces: Tomato Based, Cream Based and Oil Based. Of the three, my I love oil based pasta the most because I love that I could taste the pasta more and I admit I kinda like the grease on my lips.

Sometime last year, our next door neighbor gave us a plate of pasta. We didn't know what's it called, but sister and I loved it. When the same neighbor gave us another plate of similar looking pasta earlier this year, we finally learned the name of the dish: Aglio Olio Spaghetti. I loved how simple the dish is, and because I found myself craving for it, I decided to search the Internet for a recipe I could follow.

The recipe I am about to share was originally posted on Noob Cook. I decided to try this recipe from all the Aglio Olio recipes I have read because it has prawns, something I am currently loving right now.

Aglio Olio Pasta with Shrimps

Prawns Aglio e Olio
{Serves 2}

Ingredients:
  • 180g spaghetti, cooked per package directions
  • 3 tbsp pure olive oil
  • 40g butter, divided
  • 10 to 12 large prawns
  • 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced or chopped (not too finely)
  • 2 red chili pods, sliced (or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
  • 30g Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • salt and freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
How to Cook:
  • While cooking the pasta, remove the shells and veins from the prawns. Set aside the shelled prawns, but don't discard the heads and the shells. Use these to make a stock by putting the heads and shells in a small pot and add a little water. Simmer for about 5 minutes then strain and set aside the stock.
  • In a sauce pan, heat half of the butter and cook the prawns. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook both sides and set aside.
  • Using the same pan, add olive oil and saute garlic and chili just until the garlic bits turn light brown (not completely toasted).
  • Turn off the stove. You can cook the garlic until they are golden brown or you can now add the cooked pasta and prawns, as well as a little of the stock, parsley and the rest of the butter to give the pasta that shine. Stir, making sure the pasta has a coat of all the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, according to your preference.
Aglio Olio Pasta with Shrimps

This was my first try to cook such a dish. I realized, I didn't really like the addition of the stock - that I preferred my dish just with olive oil and butter. I did love the addition of the prawns. The recipe called for flat leaf parsley, but it wasn't available at the supermarket, so I just went for the curly parsley.

I have cooked this dish about three times after this one. I have made some changes and now I finally found the taste I wanted.
  • I loved adding a dash of Italian seasoning as I saute the garlic and chili.
  • I found out that dried chilis tend to be spicier - which I loved more.
  • The more garlic, the better.
  • To make the oil more garlic-ky, I would leave some cloves of garlic into the oil and leave it overnight.
  • I prefer the dish to be as simple as this... no need for cheese.

The one neighbor gave us had bacon bits and sliced black olives. I will go ask them how they cooked it and maybe use chicken or turkey franks instead of bacon.

Original recipe can be read HERE. Thanks for the inspiration, Noob Cook.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}