Friday, January 20, 2012

Thai at Silk is Now "Silk Thai Cuisine"

Silk Thai Cuisine
Unit 1C12 G/F Serendra Piazza
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
+(63) 856-0386 / +63917-8829818
18 January 2012

Thai food is something I want to explore more. Before this food trip, I only got to visit two Thai-inspired restaurants - Arharn Thai Kitchen in Baguio City and My Thai in SM City Fairview. That being said, I can't make awesome comparisons, but still, let me share to you this Thai dining experience I recently had.

Silk Thai Cuisine

Formerly known as Thai at Silk, the restaurant was re-launched last Wednesday and is now known as Silk Thai Cuisine. From what I heard of, its sister restaurants include Thai Pan and Simply Thai, but Silk Thai Cuisine offers more of the traditional Thai dishes.

Silk Thai Cuisine

I love how simple yet elegant the place look like inside. Color motif centers on White, Pink, and Green, though we were told that before, the place is more of green and white.

We sampled quite a lot of dishes last night -

Fresh Thai Spring Rolls with Sweet Cucumber and Vinegar Dressing Sauce and Peanut Sauce

Fresh Thai Spring Rolls. A take from Vietnamese Cuisine; rolls of fresh shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, Chinese Vermicelli, cucumber, carrots, spring onion and basil served with Thai Peanut Sauce and Sweet Vinegar and Cucumber Dipping Sauce.

> First bite, I put a little of the sweet vinegar and cucumber dip, second bite I put a little of the peanut sauce. I personally preferred the bite with the peanut sauce, but on my last bite, I decided to put a little of both dips, and it resulted in a much better tasting spring roll.

Seafood Satay

Seafood Satay. Marinated squid, shrimp, and snapper fillets on skewers with vinegar and chili sauce and peanut sauce.

> My favorite dish that night - it was served with dipping sauce, but I didn't feel the need of it already for the seafood pieces already tasted good.

Crispy Shrimp and Coriander Filled Pastry

Tung Tong (Crispy Shrimp and Coriander-Filled Pastry). Crisp pastry filled with chopped prawns and coriander paste.

> A very big plus that this was served while the pastry was still hot. I love the texture and how balanced the fillings were. I am not a fan of the coriander, but the chopped prawns and the pastry somehow balanced it, so I was able to enjoy it.

Vegetable Filled Roti

Vegetable Filled Roti. Crisp unleavened flat bread filled with melange of vegetables with Thai curry dipping sauce.

> I wasn't able to dissect the dish well, so I can't say what the vegetables inside were, but it had little cuts of eggplant - something I wasn't so fond of (I personally don't like the taste of "boiled" eggplants - I always go for fried or grilled). One thing to commend about was the roti - so delicious!

Chiang Mai Curry Noodles

Chicken Khao Soi (Chiang Mai Curry Noodles). A popular street dish in Thailand. It is composed of noodles in a freshly made curry soup then topped with tender pieces of chicken, crispy fried egg noodles, coriander, onions, pickled cabbage, shallots and lime.

> Contrast of texture between simmered noodles and crispy noodles is what I loved the most. As for the flavors, it had a hint of spiciness (posssibly from ginger), but not really that spicy - it was like slurping curry spicy tinola). The fresh shallots also added a good taste I loved.

Thai Style Apple and Mango Salad

Thai Style Apple and Mango Salad. Som Tam Style salad composed of grated apple and green mango dressed in a sour vinaigrette.

> It had the tang that will make you salivate, but the granny smith apples provided the slightly fruity sweetness. The shallots and chopped peanuts also add more flavors, but be on a lookout for some chili slices, especially if you're not fond of spicy dishes. Well, the chilies will only make an impact once you bit on it, otherwise, you will never really feel its presence.

Thai Style Beef with Oyster Sauce, Black Fungus and Bamboo Shoots

Thai Style Beef with Oyster Sauce, Black Fungus and Bamboo Shoot. Our take on the popular Chinese Beef with Oyster Sauce; stir fried tender pieces of beef served with black fungus and bamboo shoots with a sprinkling of Thai kaffir lime leaves.

> There is something in this dish that I couldn't put my finger on. It's lightly seasoned - comparing this to the typical Chinese beef with oyster sauce, this one's less salty. Could it be they used a different kind of oyster sauce? Could it be because of the kaffir lime leaves? I don't know. One thing's for sure - with beef so tender and flavorful, this is something you'll love to eat.

Crispy Salt and Pepper Fried Squid with Coriander Root

Crispy Salt and Pepper Fried Squid with Coriander Root. Crispy pieces of fried squid stir fried with salt and pepper, coriander, onions, and peppers.

> It may look like calamares, but it tasted way much better, if I may say so. The breading was light (and so flavorful), and the toppings surely made it more delicious. As is it tasted great, but with a few sprinkle of lemon juice, it added more dimension. This was my favorite dish next to the Seafood Satay. If there's one negative comment - the squid inside was a bit mushy, but it's something I can get over with.

Pandan Martini

Pandan Martini. Aside from this, they also offer Lemongrass Martini, but I didn't get to taste this, so I can't make a comment. Asking Vince (the one who ordered both drinks), he said he liked the Lemongrass Martini more.

These were just a few of the many more dishes Silk Thai Cuisine has to offer. We weren't able to taste any of the popular Thai dishes, but if you're looking for any of the Thai Curry dishes and the Pad Thai, you can have it here, too! Reading blogs about this restaurant, all of them commend the Pad Thai dish because of its very interesting presentation, which is why the next time I have the chance to visit Serendra, I might go and try it out.

If you're craving for Thai dishes - from appetizers to desserts, Silk Thai Cuisine have something to satisfy your cravings. They are open daily from 11am - 3pm and at 6pm - 11pm. If you want to make reservations and inquiries on catering and functions, please call the numbers listed at the top of this post or contact them through e-mail at thai.silkresto@yahoo.com or through their Facebook page - Thai at Silk Restaurant.

- * - * - * -

One big "kob kun kaa" to Ms. Claudine De Leon (of Leung De Leon Marketing Services) for the invitation to this sumptuous event.


FTFBadge

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}