Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mung Bean Sprouts, Tofu, and Tomatoes




Second of the four recipes from Ms. Maiylah I wanted to try:

Mung Bean Sprouts, Tofu, and Tomatoes

Mung Bean Sprouts, Tofu, and Tomatoes
{Serves: 2}

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mung Bean Sprouts
  • 1 block firm tofu
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • a dash of pepper and paprika
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • oil for sauteeing / frying
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • a few drops of sesame oil
  • sesame seeds for garnish

How to Cook:

  • Slice tofu and marinate in soy sauce, pepper, and paprika. Set aside.
  • Heat oil and fry the tofu until cooked. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Cut into bite size pieces after it has cooled down.
  • Heat about a tablespoon oil in another pan and saute onions and garlic. Add tomatoes slightly after.
  • After about two minutes, add the mung bean sprouts and continue to stir fry. Mung bean sprouts will render some liquid, but you may add a little water if you want to. Add the tofu pieces and mix.
  • Correct the seasoning according to your preference.
  • Drizzle a few drops of sesame oil, mix, then turn off the heat. Plate and serve.

Frying the tofu was a bit difficult for me, but after that little disaster with the first piece, I was able to finally get it done by adding more oil, making sure the tofu didn't touch the base of the pan.

I loved how it tasted. It reminded me of Kongnamul Bibimbap (minus the tomatoes), and it sure can be a full meal as is, but it can be a great side dish for any fried or grilled meat and seafood. Oh... just take it easy on the soy sauce marinade; tofu tends to absorb the liquid, so be sure you don't go over with this, or you'll end up with salty fried tofu.

To check Ms. Maiylah's original post about this recipe, please click HERE. Big thanks to you, Ms. Maiylah for giving your readers very easy recipes to follow.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}