Friday, December 16, 2011

Recipe | Diced Chicken with Cashews

Since I cooked the very first dish from Mama Sita's "Lutong Bahay" cookbook, I found myself checking it every now and then if I wanted to cook and eating something healthy and new. Last weekend, I tried another one of their dishes... because I saw some snow peas at the market and it reminded me of this recipe.

Diced Chicken with Cashews

Diced Chicken with Cashews
{Serves 2}

Ingredients - Chicken
  • 100g chicken breast, diced
  • a dash of pepper
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rhum
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or any ordinary oil)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • small piece of ginger, smashed with the flat surface of knife
  • 50g snow peas, ends trimmed
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 1/2 cup toasted cashews
  • 3-4 drops of sesame oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients - Sauce

  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Mama Sita's Oyster Sauce
  • 2 tablespoon cornstarch

How to Cook:

  • In a bowl, combine chicken, pepper, soy sauce, rhum and cornstarch. Set aside.
  • In a different bowl, add all ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Set aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic and ginger. Once the garlic turn light brown, add the marinated chicken and cook for a few minutes.
  • Add stock, oyster sauce, and the sauce. Simmer for a few minutes.
  • Add the vegetables and cashews and allow the ingredients to cook. Drop some sesame oil and season according to your preference. Serve.

This reminded me of the beef dish I tried because it basically had the same ingredients, only that the sauce of this one had a hint of sweetness. I liked the dish and it is something I will cook again, but not when mom's around because she isn't fond of dishes even with a slight hint of sweetness to it.

I am actually collecting more and more chicken dishes (those that uses chicken breasts), and I am glad I got to try this. If you have any chicken recipes you'd like to share, just share them to me. Thanks!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}