Friday, November 11, 2011

Recipe | Buffalo Wings a la Certified Foodies

One of my cravings this week was a good serving of Buffalo Wings. Our family was able to try out the McCormick Buffalo Wings mix, and even if we liked its taste, part of me still wants to try my hands at cooking the dish "from scratch."

I then remembered, days after the first Bloggers' Buffet at Carol's Texan 5 where we had a good serving of Buffalo Wings, siblings Mhel and Ken (of Certified Foodies) shared their own version of the dish. I quickly copied their recipe and tried to re-create it.

Buffalo Wings

Homemade Buffalo Wings
Recipe by: Mhel and Ken of Certified Foodies
Yield: 2 Kilos


Ingredients - Chicken and Breading Mix
  • 2 kilos of Chicken Wings, each cut into two
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • oil for deep frying

Ingredients - Buffalo Sauce
  • 3/4 cup cayenne hot pepper sauce or any hot sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons honey

Ingredients - Cheese Dip
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons cheese spread
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

How to Cook - Chicken
  • Combine the ingredients (except chicken and oil) and mix to evenly distribute each of the ingredients. Coat each chicken pieces and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Once cooked, place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.

How to Cook - Buffalo Sauce
  • Combine all ingredients and cook for a few minutes (or until the butter is completely melted) over low heat.

How to Prepare - Cheese Dip
  • Combine all ingredients and mix well.

How to Assemble:
  • Place the wings in a big bowl and pour the Buffalo Sauce and mix well, making sure each piece is coated well with the sauce. Serve on a platter with the Cheese Dip on the side.

Believe it or not, I am currently on a diet so parts of the recipe I altered. I still followed the breading, but for the Buffalo Sauce, I used lite margarine and I didn't add the sugar (only went for the honey), and I also opted to go for fresh minced garlic because I couldn't find the container of garlic powder. I decided not to make the Cheese Dip anymore because we didn't have parmesan cheese, and I didn't want to add more calories into my lunch. Actually, even without the cheese dip, the wings tasted so good. It was spicy and a little sweet - highly addicting! Good thing I only cooked 1 wing (cut into two) because if I went to cook all the chicken wings we have in the freezer, for sure I would have a difficult time controlling myself. :)

I told brother how good the wings tasted, but since I only cooked for myself, I will just cook this again some other time so the whole family can savor its goodness, too.

My deepest gratitude to Mhel and Ken for providing this awesome recipe. Do know that I really loved your version of this dish.

For the step by step (with picture) guide on how to cook this recipe, check out their blog post HERE.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}