Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend Eating | Tupig

If it's up to me, this post would have been filled with many pictures of the foods served at the last day of Couples for Christ MER (Marriage Enrichment Retreat). My mom didn't leave the community even if my dad already passed away (she is now with the Handmaids of the Lord, a sub-group for "single" women, still with the CFC), and to show her support to the team, she planned to go there to help out as well as hear mass. I went with her as we planned to go to the mall right after the program, however... my camera's memory card retired Saturday afternoon. My sister had an impromptu trip to Manaoag (Pangasinan) today, so I wasn't able to borrow brother's memory card, and since my cell phone had no battery juice, I went to the event "unarmed" (without a camera).

Well, I do have a new memory card now, and thankfully, when mom and I got home, our next door neighbors gave us some pasalubong:

Tupig

Tupig

Tupig!

Tupig is one of the well known delicacies in the Ilocos Region, pretty much their type of suman, only that this is made from glutinous rice flour and is cooked on hot plates over hot coals. The one I grew up eating (from La Union) is slightly longer than this and had lesser coconut strips.

This tupig was from Pangasinan, as they, too, went to Manaoag. Although this was slightly smaller than the ones from La Union, I kinda liked this more because it had a lot of coconut strips, and is slightly sweeter.

Thanks for the pasalubong, 'te Cha!
(she now blogs via I-Heart-Food among others - she has about three blogs, I think)

So... what did you have last weekend? If you're new to the Weekend Eating meme, you can read the rules and get the badge codes HERE My heartfelt thanks to everyone who joined last week.



*** Jenn ***



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}