Wednesday, February 9, 2011

D - Daing / Dried Seafoods

The process of drying foods - may it be fruits, meat, or seafoods - has been one of oldest ways of preserving foods. Back when refrigerators and freezers aren't existing yet, drying the foods allowed people to stock up on foods for a much longer time.

Even if there are many ways of preserving foods, this process is still part of the lives of many people. Here in the Philippines, we call it "Daing," and here are some daing pictures I took during my travels.

Dried Seafoods - Dumaguete Market

Dumaguete Market. Taken during my 2008 travel to Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental province.

Dried Seafoods - Cebu Market

Taboan Market. Taken during my trip to Cebu City in 2009, the Taboan Market is where one can find a vast amount of dried seafoods - fish of different kinds, squids, even octopus!

Dried Seafoods - Baguio Market

Baguio Market. Shortly after my Cebu trip, I traveled up north to Baguio City, and while walking around the market I saw this and took a quick picture. Pusit is squid, Espada is Silver Scabbardfish.

Dried Seafoods - Iloilo Market

ABC_Wed_8

Iloilo Market. Taken just November of last year, I saw this dried seafoods stall in La Paz Market, just a few steps away from the hotel where K and I stayed at.

Dumaguete, Iloilo, and Cebu are located in the Visayas region of the country (middle part), and getting there, one has to either take the plane or the ship. If one is traveling by water, there is no problem in taking dried seafoods "home," but if one is traveling by plane, the market stalls would vacuum seal the packs so that the smell won't annoy other people.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}