Sunday, January 9, 2011

Crispy Kangkong

It was through my mom that I got to learn about this dish. She cooked a few leaves of it using egg whites and I did like the taste of it. My mom wasn't able to cook it again (because she rarely cooks anymore), but when I attended the Litratong Pinoy EBaliwan in 2009, I got to eat the dish again and since then I hoped I could cook the dish as well.

Thanks to the Mama Sita cookbook my sister bought, I got the basic idea how to cook it. The recipe printed in the book was quite simple, and using it as my inspiration, I came up with this:

Crispy Kangkong


Crispy Kangkong
{serves 4}

Ingredients:
  • leaves from 1 bunch kangkong, washed and dried
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • salt (to taste)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • cold water
  • oil for deep frying
  • ice cubes (stand by / optional)

Ingredients - Dipping Sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • vinegar (according to your preference)
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • chili powder (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced

How to Cook:
  • In a small bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, ground pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper (if using), and salt. Add cold water enough to make a thick batter, just like how you make pancakes.
  • Coat each leaf with the batter and fry until crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve with the dipping sauce.
  • To make the dipping sauce, just mix all ingredients together.

Notes to Consider:
  • When taking out the leaves from the main stem, leave an inch of stem near the leaves so you have something to hold when placing the leaves in hot oil.
  • Don't crowd the leaves in the pan while cooking. It is best to not let the leaves touch each other because the batter might stick them together.
  • The batter has to be real cold, so if you have a lot to cook and the batter isn't cold anymore, get a much bigger bowl, place some ice cubes and put the batter bowl on top of the ice cubes.

This dish is a good appetizer, and a good dish to serve your guests while they await for the main course. As for me, I sometimes cook this when I am not in the mood to eat heavy lunch, or if we wanted something a little "special" for snacks. If you're not into kangkong, you can also use spinach for this dish.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}