Thursday, November 25, 2010

Not Really, But Close!

Taipan Grill - SM Fairview
New Annex Building
Belfast Avenue cor. Quirino Highway, Quezon City
29 March 2010


Since my mom had her eye operation, white hairs were showing, and she was itching to get it dyed. She could take a shower, shampoo her hair and all that, but one thing she can't do was to get her eyes wet with water or anything other than her eye drops. She asked if I could dye her hair (she's using the henna hair dye), but the problem was that neither one of us was willing to rinse it off after in the fears of getting some water into her eyes. She really wanted to get her hair done, so I came with her to the salon. Unfortunately, even if the salon uses hair dye made from organic plant products, the salon manager told mom it might be best not to do something just yet, and wait for a doctor consult before doing anything.

We took tita Lisa's gown with us, which mom used at a wedding, and because the gown can only be dry cleaned, we decided to just go straight to SM Fairview to leave the gown to the cleaners, shop for some grocery items, and to eat lunch as well. It was just the two of us, and we were about to just eat somewhere known to us, but as we walked, we saw this new food place, and as we read the leaflet handed to us, mom and I decided to give it a try.

Taipan Grill

The Taipan Grill is one of the new restaurants in the new annex building of SM City Fairview. It was a new name (which was often times a risk), and being neighbors with big names like Teriyaki Boy, Pancake House, Mexicali, and Tong Yang... it was the only food place in the area with foods below 150 pesos. Despite the foreign name, the foods served were quite Filipino.

Taipan Grill

This place of the mall always don't have much traffic, so when mom and I got there, the place was still quite bare, although somewhere in the middle of our lunch, people starting coming in as well. So many choices, but we went for:

Chicken Barbecue

Grilled Chicken Drumwing with Rice (p95). The chicken tasted okay, typical Pinoy style chicken barbecue... the only complaint was it was a bit small, but then again, given the price, it was good already. Mom ate the wing part, I got the drumstick.

Sizzling Boneless Bangus

Boneless Bangus with Rice (p135). Mom's choice, but we cut it in half so we both could eat it. The marinade was good, the dipping sauce that came with it was a great compliment, if only mom and I could eat using our hands, we would. It was great.

Buco Pandan

Buco Pandan (p35). Knowing the foods weren't that expensive, we decided to go for some desserts, and we chose the buco pandan. I did find it delicious - good mix of cream and condensed milk, although I could sense they used the condensed milk that wasn't too thick because it was a bit soupy. Still, both mom and I liked it.

Condiments


Taipan Grill's slogan said, "The best charcoal grill in town." Was it really? Well, if town meant in the SM Fairview area, then maybe... but I really don't think it was the best. What I did love, though, was their condiments. I don't know if these were made exclusively for them, or one can buy it at a supermarket, but I did give each a taste, and it was great! I especially liked the barbecue sauce in roasted peanuts flavor. I have tasted this flavor in Reyes Barbecue, but I do find Taipan's less saltier, and much enjoyable to dip the meat into.

If you want to eat there, you can enter through the Belfast Avenue entrance of the mall. If you're coming from the main mall, you can walk straight to the end and turn left. Taipan Grill is located right next to Mexicali. As for other branches, I still don't know if there are. If you happen to know a different branch, please do update me so I can edit this article.

Affordable good food. That's what Taipan Grill's about, in my opinion. Will we eat there again? I don't see why not.

*** Jenn ***

ps - I have started the Weekend Eating meme... if you want to join, please do read the instructions HERE. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}