Sunday, November 28, 2010

Oil-Free Lumpiang Hubad

I noticed that I have been cooking and eating meat dishes, so as I flip my magazines looking for something to cook, I stumble upon this recipe and thought it would be a great dish to cook. This recipe is taken from the February 2009 issue of the FOOD Magazine.

Lumpiang Hubad


Oil-Free Lumpiang Hubad
{Serves 10}

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 piece jicama (singkamas), washed and cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet potatoes (kamote)
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced carrots
  • 5 pieces green beans, thinly sliced diagonally
  • 1 cup cabbage, cut into thin strips
  • 1 pouch (10 grams) Mama Sita's pang-gisa mix
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped Chinese parsley (kinchay)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped toasted peanuts
  • 1 tablespoon crushed garlic

How to Cook:
  • In a wok, combine water and singkamas. Bring to a boil and simmer until half-cooked. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, beans, cabbage and pang-gisa mix and stir well. Cover and cook briefly until the vegetables are tender.
  • Serve hot with lumpia sauce topped with Chinese parsley, toasted peanuts, and garlic.

Ingredients - Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water

How to Cook:
  • In a small pan, caramelize sugar until it turns dark amber in color. Add water and stir until sugar has dissolved.
  • Add salt and soy sauce. Add the dissolved cornstarch and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce thickens.
  • Serve with Lumpiang Hubad.

Needless to say, I had a great lunch that time. Eating crunchy vegetables with sweet-salty sauce was really wonderful, and the addition of minced garlic was good as well. The sauce was actually a good revelation for me - I liked it so much that even if I would just cook fishballs, I'd cook this sauce to pair with it. :)

This dish is good as is, now I am thinking of practicing in cooking crepes so I can add more texture to the dish.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}